Best digital setup for a beginner?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Best digital setup for a beginner?

I've been Djing for a little while all started about 3 years ago when i used to remix tracks and stick them up on social networking sites when my friends actually noticed it was me i had random people approach me saying how good they are.

I went off it for a while and now have come back to do something better i've started making my own music and want to invest in some decent hardware but im on a budget!

Im looking for a controller similiar to the eks xp5 and xp10 controllers something that has a usb to connect to a laptop and rca to go to your average mixer to make a digital setup

I've considered turntables but on the budget i am its not something i would want to go to cheap on and not having a large enough vinyl collection it really limits me! no to mention the price of serato if i wanted timecode:eek:

does anyone have any suggestions ?

dj tech cdj101 + native instruments audio 2

Here's what I'd suggest, from lowest price to highest:

Numark Mixtrack ($149)
    Hercules Remix ($280)
    VCI-100SE ($550) OR VCI-300 ($500ish used)
    Native Instruments S4 ($799)

Any of those are controllers that are well recommended for their price range. None of them need an external mixer, although some do need an external soundcard. But depending on your budget, any one of those will do a good job for the value. Unfortunately this isn't an inexpensive hobby.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

If you're looking to save some money, maybe you should try a keyboard mapping. Earl_Panda had a great one a while back, and even painted up his keyboard to suit.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...34&postcount=8

There are infinite possibilities for DJ controllers. Depends on your range and preferences. You may look at the NS7 or V7 controllers as they emulate actual turntables. But they are more expensive than the S4.
    BlackBook, MidiFighter, Traktor Kontrol S4, AIAIAI TMA-1, Raw Passion

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Creamation View Post
    dj tech cdj101 + native instruments audio 2
    Do you know if the cdj101 is available in the uk i can't seem to find it

Numark Mixtrack
    Numark Total Kontroll
    Vestax Typhoon/Spin

three cheap controllers, the first two require an external soundcard but they still total around 200 gbp, as a soundcard I would recommend the NI Audio 2 DJ card, inexpensive and great.
    These are the best cheap options I've found after scouring the internet for hours on end

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyDonePun View Post
    There are infinite possibilities for DJ controllers. Depends on your range and preferences.
    This is by far the most important post in this thread. I think you should start with trying to figure out, what exactly you want in a controller and how the controller should achieve this. That will probably take some time and a good bit of consideration, but it's definitely worth it. A general "best digital setup" does not exist, in my opinion. It's really up to what you need and want - and of course your personal workflow.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    This is by far the most important post in this thread. I think you should start with trying to figure out, what exactly you want in a controller and how the controller should achieve this. That will probably take some time and a good bit of consideration, but it's definitely worth it. A general "best digital setup" does not exist, in my opinion. It's really up to what you need and want - and of course your personal workflow.
    Thats a great point sorry to take so long to come back to this but been doing research!

I want to control Traktor... all the basic features including FX so the biggest one so far is the Kontrol X1 for £160 gets me two deck control

Now theres a few things i was thinking about this.. if i use two "Kontrols" i get all 4 decks but then i need a soundcard that can output 4 channels to a 4 channel mixer right? instead if i used one i would only really need a 2 channel soundcard going to my mixer for each deck.

Is there any other midi controllers i could use to control with an external mixer? something easy for traktor i guess i could use 1 or even 2 midi keyboards and map them either side right?

Sorry to be such a pain but all this stuff is new to me

Well honestly, what is your budget if you don't mind sharing? As said, there are a TON of options out there, and that tailors the help we can give you while maintaining a price point.

Given any budget? Either SSL or Traktor, and then some Technics 1200's and a Rane mixer.

But honestly, I have no idea what to honestly suggest here.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast