First Controller (APC40 vs Ohm64)
    Tech Wizard

Default First Controller (APC40 vs Ohm64)

Aiight, so ive been mass studying this website for about 6 or so months. I have Traktor and Ableton. and I've been trying to figure out which to go with as my primary DJ'ing tool (since i'm very interested in producing). As of last night I decided to tackle the learning curve of Ableton 8. So my question is what should I choose as a first controller. I realize the Ohm64 is more expensive and what not but the build quality and long term usability of the product appeals to me. But the APC40 is made FOR Ableton, so it probably has a better "handshake" with the software. So, once again, whats the best way to go. Has anyone tried both what are the advantages/disadvantages of both? Any guidance on how to better work with Ableton as I learn the ins and outs?

--Secondly any tips for effectively warping dubstep (my genre of choice) in ableton, im having a difficult time.

Thanks!

after owning the apc40 and selling it(big mistake) i would get a apc40 i miss
    they are build like tanks and there are some amazing templates for it out now
    all so mappings for traktor have come along away

Tech Student

this website might make the APC40 a bit more apealing to you.

http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/

of course, you could write your own scripts to provide similar functionality with the OHM.

main Pros for either imo

OHM: greater customization ability. You can edit what each button sends out.

APC40: coloured LEDS make navigating your clip view in Ableton much easier.

APC 40m all the way in my eyes mate, my friend has one and its awesome. Plus went to see a DJ play the other night and he had one for playing out with Ableton and it worked really well. Plus with the money you save you can get yourself some other bits of kit.

Also see this guys vids on Youtube for your warping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DN60PhltB4
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

APC40....

I am in love with it. It just works so fucking well!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

For dubstep check out SBKRFT as he rocks an APC40 to the nth degree and is proper awesome!

Cheers
    D

Tech Wizard

Well, i got an apc to mix minimal techno and its awesome, but i miss some Knobs up the channels like normal mixers to EQ there, the OHM has it, i think all depends on what and how u gona use it, ofc i still got a nice EQ with the APC mapped to others knobs, but i think its about how u gona feel with one or another, all the knobs on APC are infinite and not on the OHM i think, so they perfect to EQ, anyways i think i like more the APC. (soz for my bad english)

Tech Wizard

Thanks you guys. I guess the APC is probably a better fit for me. The other thing i dont necessarily like about the APC though is the fact that its not USB powered while the OHM with more buttons is.

Also @Fyoog thanks for the vid

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drowzy View Post
    Thanks you guys. I guess the APC is probably a better fit for me. The other thing i dont necessarily like about the APC though is the fact that its not USB powered while the OHM with more buttons is.

Also @Fyoog thanks for the vid
    apc has around 380 leds, trust me when I say you don't want that leeching from your computer