How do you stay updated with your music? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luv2xra View Post
    I would go into a local record shop and just browse and ask the record shop keeper. In L.A. we have Amoeba!!!
    Do they have vinyl listening stations there yet? Last time I was at the Amoeba in Hollywood, there was none. Same for goes for the Amoeba in San Francisco.
    It's annoying when you got in your hand what might be a cool record, but you can't listen to it before you buy it. I don't trust any DJ/Label/Shop keeper enough to just buy their music without listening to it first.

I also wanted to mention, GEMM is a good place to go if you already know what record/cd you want, but your favorite record shop/internet shop doesn't have it in stock.

http://www.gemm.com/

I've had HUGE success in tracking down new and hard to find records on this site.
    Last edited by Mike Damien; 04-28-2008 at 05:07 PM.

If you looking for european dance news, an easy place to start is Radion 1 - Dance:

BBC Radio1

These guys do a weekly update on almost every dance genre.

Pete Tong also has his weekly Fast Trax TV, which you can check out here:

Pete Tong's Fast Trax TV

enjoy
    Last edited by VoOFA; 04-29-2008 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Damien View Post
    Do they have vinyl listening stations there yet? Last time I was at the Amoeba in Hollywood, there was none. Same for goes for the Amoeba in San Francisco.
    It's annoying when you got in your hand what might be a cool record, but you can't listen to it before you buy it. I don't trust any DJ/Label/Shop keeper enough to just buy their music without listening to it first.
    My experience with Hollywood Amoeba is that it's such a big and obvious place to go that it's thoroughly picked over for anything worthwhile, and that anything really sought-after has been set aside for well-known DJs who come in, of which Los Angeles certainly has no shortage.

Since I'm a digital DJ, I've had much better success hunting down tracks with Google.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyett View Post
    My experience with Hollywood Amoeba is that it's such a big and obvious place to go that it's thoroughly picked over for anything worthwhile, and that anything really sought-after has been set aside for well-known DJs who come in, of which Los Angeles certainly has no shortage.

Since I'm a digital DJ, I've had much better success hunting down tracks with Google.
    By making use of G2p?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Could I have that question in English, please?
    Steve Boyett
    Traktor user

By making use of Google to Person?
    But judging from your answer, guess not.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Since I still don't get it, I'd tend to agree.
    Steve Boyett
    Traktor user

Tech Mentor

Competition is fierce in L.A. but you this why you have to be in top of the music. Yes its big but you just to have your dedicated to the music. We already started low and we have to find a way to get up
    Thank Ya!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    I have completely given up. Once a month or so I just head to Beatport or some other online seller and browse for a couple of hours, chasing up tracks on mixes that I enjoyed and listening to charts (not the "just released" pile, that's an area of cruft for others to sift through). And I am ruthless about only buying tracks I *adore*. If it's not a mindblowing-must-have I ditch it. That way, any track I pull out makes me smile and my collection becomes more concentrated over time instead of becoming more diluted. I spend less and I am happier.

Oh, and I highly rate friends recommendations. I'd never have heard of Ulrich Schnauss otherwise. If you ever liked Chicane, I recommend his albums for replay value.
    Also Agree!!

I avoid the "Jest Released" pile as well and just randomly sift through various genre pages

depending on the flavour I am looking for

another good site is also

http://www.beatsource.com
    the sister of beatport

email newsletters have semi-worked for me, i subscribe to newsletters from beatport, boomkat, kompakt-mp3 (when it was a bit more active), bleep, resident advisor and a few labels i love, kinda forces me to deal with new material.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast