How do you stay updated with your music?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you stay updated with your music?

Curious as too how every one stays up with current, pop, top 40, hip hop collections.

Part of the reason im asking is because the past two years of my life i have just been 24/7 eletronica. My pop collections have a few recent songs but they are lacking big time.

I do listen to MTV and the local radio stations but i need more sources.

Tech Mentor

find some guys that chart that you trust.

I go to Radio Station websites in big market areas and check out their playlists.

New York, Chicago, LA, etc...

Its a good way to gauge what the city is listening to.

for a Hip Hop example, a good place to start is New York's Hot97.com

Quote Originally Posted by Krilikz View Post
    Curious as too how every one stays up with current, pop, top 40, hip hop collections.
    I have completely given up. Once a month or so I just head to Beatport or some other online seller and browse for a couple of hours, chasing up tracks on mixes that I enjoyed and listening to charts (not the "just released" pile, that's an area of cruft for others to sift through). And I am ruthless about only buying tracks I *adore*. If it's not a mindblowing-must-have I ditch it. That way, any track I pull out makes me smile and my collection becomes more concentrated over time instead of becoming more diluted. I spend less and I am happier.

Oh, and I highly rate friends recommendations. I'd never have heard of Ulrich Schnauss otherwise. If you ever liked Chicane, I recommend his albums for replay value.

I agree with Fatlimey. Same here.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

There's no better way to keep up with the hottest new stuff other than sites like the hypemachine! It may be a bit cheap but the fact is you can find all the hottest new tracks and remixes for just about anything on there and listen before you decide to invest some cash.

Other than that I dunno, buy top 40 compilations every now and again?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    I'd never have heard of Ulrich Schnauss otherwise. If you ever liked Chicane, I recommend his albums for replay value.
    Ulrich Schnauss rocks. Going to see him live here in a few days time.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Blogs, forums, and other peoples mixes. Hype Machine is is awesome for electro-house and odd-ball remixes. I read DOA and DnB Arena for my DnB fix. Then I download mixes of guys that I like as we probably have a similar taste is music.

As far as pop and top 40 though... just turn on the radio. Then turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Krilikz View Post
    A serious answer: let's say you are a commercial DJ doing events, weddings, etc, and you *need* to have top40 tracks for your job. The best way to get them is to sign up for a Music Subscription Service - you pay your dues and every month (week?) you get sent a CD stack with all the upcoming DJ promos, releases and remixes from big name labels. The back catalogs are probably available too.

No idea what the good ones in the US are, we used two UK-based ones for sourcing music for the FIFA games at Electonic Arts, but here's a starting point: http://www.promoonly.com/

Tech Mentor

I would go into a local record shop and just browse and ask the record shop keeper. In L.A. we have Amoeba!!!
    Thank Ya!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast