problem sync Traktor-Ableton same laptop
    Tech Student

Default problem sync Traktor-Ableton same laptop

Hi everybody!! It's like two month that I try to configure my system to work fine without big results.
    I want to use Traktor Pro and Ableton Live together controlling the first one with a M-audio Xponent and the second one with a Novation Launchpad. I work with a MacBook pro of the last generation (4gb ram DDR3, 2.4 GHz core duo)
    I need the perfect sync between the two programs in order to launch synchronized clips with Live over the Traktor audio output. I tired all reading on forums and manuals as much as possible but It seems impossible to have a stable clock.
    I tried to use Traktor as Master sending the midi clock to Live using IAC drivers and Traktor Virtual output as well but I never had good results.
    The best stability I had was opening Traktor and Live together; after the configuration of Traktor (send midi clock ON, clock master INT or AUTO, pressing play in the master tempo panel) and the configuration of Live (that receives a clock after the click on EXT, having the light close to EXT correctly switching on and off) i start to have a really unstable clock but closing Traktor and opening It again the clock that Live shows is between 127.9 and 128.1 bpm (Traktor Master to 128 bpm). In this situation i'm not able to launch clips and pressing the button sync in the master tempo panel of traktor clips start to be launched but the clock become very unstable (between 124 and 132).
    CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME? Many thanks Regards

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

it works best if you have live as the master. did you match the midi delay between both programs?? turn the metronome on both and get them tight together.

Hi. Haha, the unreliability and innaccuracies of midi clock strike again! I to had the same problem trying to sync up the two programs. I tried sending Traktors clock to Live and vice versa, tried routing via Bome's, tried using a 3rd party program to send midi clock to both programs all to no avail. After spending around two days solid of reading up on this forum as well as the NI forum and numerous others I decided to settle on Bento's method of having a spare knob on one of my midi controllers control both the master tempo of Live and the master tempo of Traktor. It's a solid way of having the two programs locked in at all times. In my experience midi clock just isn't accurate enough to keep the two in sync. Hope this helps.
    DJ - Macbook pro, TSP 1.2.7, 2 x CDJ1000 MkIII, Xone 92, X1, VCI-100 Arcade FW 1.4, NI Audio 8 DJ, Sony MDR-V700
    Production - Dual core PC, M-box 2, KRK RP8, Novation Remote SL 61, Live 8, Reason 4
    Jack & Jill went up the hill to fetch a crate of Techno!

Tech Guru

Getting a stable sync has everything to do with the clock latency adjustment you dial in. Keep in mind every effect or vst you add to a channel or master is going to delay the audio somewhat, so any time you make changes like that, you'll need to re-adjust the clock offset to compensate. It's better to make those adjustments after you've settled on a setup, have added all the fx you'll use, etc.

I have good results with Traktor as master clock (traktor virtual out), no clock offset, Live as slave, synced with the EXT button. In Live's prefs, with everything I use, the Live clock offset is around -36.5 (but that's just me). The clock is always going to fluctuate using this method, but in practice if the offset is perfect, there's no noticeable drift. BUT, tempo changes in Traktor are slow to respond, and Live doesn't respond to that smoothly. No big deal if you're willing to have only one program or the other playing when you make a tempo change, but not both.

The other method described in the post above with a single knob controlling both program's tempos is probably the most solid. The problem with that (which might not be a big deal for some people), is that any time you make a tempo change, you need to manually dial in the new tempo before everything locks up.

If there was a way to do an instant "flash" of a new tempo to Live, I'd be a happy camper. Why Traktor needs to spin the clock tempo up or down when an abrupt tempo change is made (takes about 5-6 sec) I don't know.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Student

thank you all for your replies. I tried using a Launchpad's button mapped to Tap buttons of Traktor and Live but always I notice a difference between them. how can i fix this issue? I'm not used to change often the tempo so this is the best solution right now for me. Many thanks

Tech Mentor

Is there a way to make Traktor increase in +/- 1bpm increments. I couldnt get that to work INC and Dec only offer Min Fine Default Course and Switch which all seem to be base on a percentage of the pitch range.

In order to map a tempo control to Live and Trkator you need to be able to get them to INC/DEC the same.

Currently I have independent knobs for tempo in each application plus some pitch bend controls so I beat mix between apps. Once in the are really solid.

Tech Student

what if i map a spare Launchpad's button to the play on a traktor deck and the master play in Live setting the same bpm tempo to both of them before? can they be in perfect sync supposing I'll not change the tempo in the meantime i play? Rod