Do i need an AMP or just tweak my setup
    Tech Mentor

Default Do i need an AMP or just tweak my setup

So we finally got our ghetto rig set up, a hodge podge of speakers and a BUGE bass amp. So while testing the limits of sound i ran into an issue.

If the master mixer master volume was too loud my Numark Mixdeck would "crash and freeze" and then traktor would crash soon there after. I've found a perfect "this is as high as i can turn it if i dont want it to break", but my buddy can play his Kaossilator/kaospad combo and turn it ALL the way up and have no issues.

My setup, is my master OUT from the Mixdeck goes to the CH01 IN on my other Numark 960 mixer. Kaoss setup goes out to CH02 IN.

The numark mixer master out goes to a Set of computer speakers (big ass Logitechs) and we have the HUGE bass amp piggy backed off that.

My question is, do we need an AMP for my mixdeck? If we actually upgrade and get a legit system, like the B52 Matrix 1000v2 which has a built in amp, would it still be required?

Is my mixdeck just trying to power a setup thats TOO much for it? The addition of the Kaoss pads and Bass AMP is when these issues showed up.

If an amp is required any suggestions?

P.S. the crash also happens if you turn down the logitechs too fast, master volume on the Logitech kit.

*********~~~EDIT~*~*~*~*~*
    ok so i've been browsing. What kind of gear would we need if we were to hookup two separate RCA sources (my deck, his Kaoss pads) into 1 mixer so we can balance it and crossfade, and then be able to output it to our soon to be purchased B52 Matrix 1000v2. Thanks
    Last edited by ssjaken; 10-22-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Tech Mentor

update. We were playing live and it kept messing up so i took the bass amp out of the equation and it worked perfectly no more crashing.

so my new question is this

what would be the best way to get our two "rigs" setup together where we could fade back and forward balance master and all those other production buzz words, and be able to get RCA in from our gear and XLR out to our PA.

It's hard to visualize your setup from just a description. Can you sketch up a diagram of what is connected to where?

Tech Mentor

Here is a ghetto MSpaint mock up of our setup. Everything is RCA but our PA will only have XLR in, and our battlepack mixer only has RCA out. Do we need an amp in between the mixer and PA? Or is there something else we should replace the battlepack mixer with or something.

Tech Wizard

Seems from looking at the setup of the B-52 it has it's own psu to power the system. Considering it has XLR and Spekons. The problem would reside with you back pack mixer. Most low end mixers don't push the signal out to the unit.

what kind of "backpack mixer" are you using?
    MacBook 13.3/Behringer VMX-200/NI Audio 2 DJ
    NI Kontrol X1/Traktor1.2.4

Tech Mentor

its the numark DM950 from the battlepack. The issue i described in the main post has been fixed. But we want to figure out how to hook up to the XLR from our only RCA out's. The only thing i have that is XLR out is my mixdeck, and that would knock out my buddys kaoss pads.

Tech Mentor

bump. whats the best way to get RCA to XLR?