No0b inquiry.

Thread: No0b inquiry.

Default No0b inquiry.

I've been lurking for a few weeks and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first controller(s). I'm looking to start playing at a few local bars in clubs in the burbs that mainly play top 40, I will not be catering to the norm and marketing my set as such. I know the bar owners and they're cool with me doing my thing as I'm trying to turn "off" nights into something new. My "crates" are deeply vested in hip hop of all kinds from Atmosphere to Jeezy. I've got plenty of classic rock, disco, grunge, radio rock. Recently I've really been digging the mash-up party sounds of Girl Talk and A-Trak. I like some dub step sounds that I've heard, although it does tend to be a bit repetitive. I might pay some tribute to the city in which I was raised and reside (Chicago) by expanding my crates to include some vintage ghetto house. I've been very inspired by some of the things I've seen in the last few weeks while researching controllerism and I'd like to think I'm going to be getting into some cue-point juggling/mixing fairly quickly. Point is I won't be mixing and blending tracks all nights as some house or techno dj's would.

Anyhow on to some of the items I'm considering.

VCI-100, obviously the choice of the masses, especially here at DJTT. Tried and true. It doesn't enough buttons by itself. I'm considering a padKontrol (got one lined up cheap) on the side. I can get into all of the above for around $500 may need another hundo for an interface. This seems like it would give me more than enough to learn/experiment with.

SC system 3. Love the multiple modes layout (Is that similar to different scenes on padKontrol?). I like the size and the fact it would look good underneath my TouchSmart 600XT that I will be using. A friend about disowned me when I told him I was thinking about one. He recommended a NS7. I've got one lined up w/ a interface for $250.

Software wise I've been familarizing myself with Traktor and Virtual DJ (as I may want to add video here and there). I'm already having problems with the video/audio not being in sync. Anyone know common fixes for this? Also is there an interface that also has a video out? My all in one TouchSmart600 has a HDMI in, but not out. So I've been looking at usb external video cards but I'm curious if one of the higher end interfaces has this? I do have a seperate laptop I could bring to set up for a generic video montage, but I'd like to have it in sync with audio. One of the venues has multiple projectors that are already linked so I'm meeting with the sound guy to see what I'd need to hook up.

My last question is in regard to track prep, track key, and bpm matching. How important is this in hip hop dj sets? I personally freak out when I hear rap vocals out of pitch. Key? Wtf is key? Does this apply to hip-hop?

Anyone got a book or video to recommend to a noob that teaches the basics?

Why/how do I justify spending double to get the vci? What will better suite someone who wants to mix primarily hip-hop and maybe learn to mash up some random shit? Seems like the scs3 will give me what I want. A lot of cue points, and decent control over loops/effects.

ps. I know mash-ups are more of a production/studio type thing and aren't done by cutting highs out of one track and blending in another. I've used Adobe Audition to remove vocals and have been trying to learn some aspects of production. My next toy would most likely be a Maschine if things go well with the DJ sets.

Tech Mentor

Welcome!

Get the SCS3 bro, it does look a little weird though. I don't like the VCI-100 because it doesn't have a sound card, and it doesn't scratch well. The V7 is a fantastic machine, but overpriced imho.

Key and song prep does matter in hip-hop and rap. It's very important. You should try mixing harmonically, it sounds amazing with the right songs.

bookwise google the traktor bible :O its cheap great for all levels :P controller wise a traktor kontrol s4 is 300 or 400 more but it has an interface like an audio 4 built in, full integration with traktor, full software specific to the controller and lots of flexibility thats just my opinion the ns7 for 250 with an interface is a good deal though and is probobly a good controller for hip hop dj's but i guess if you wanted to spin hip hop you'd go for a dvs or real vinyl instead of "like" vinyl jog wheels and you would need to be using itch? i think for the ns7 instead of traktor
    Last edited by DJMilk3y; 10-23-2010 at 07:57 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm ordering and S4 and an X1 next month, just sayin.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I'm ordering and S4 and an X1 next month, just sayin.
    just sayin, or just braggin?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

we should set up a S4 union or something, mine should be delivered mid november XD

SC3 lacks tactile feedback, the same as DJing with a touchscreen, so i don't think is the best thing to learn, as there are some things that just can't be done or are quite hard with that kind of setup. The layer functionality is nothing special of the SC3, it's quite easily mappeable to any controller in the market, so that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

VCI may look simple but it's a very powerful beast (amazing mappings and new firmware), I highly recommend it.

My advice, 1º nail the basis and then go all funky in the booth, else it will be a trainwreck. after you have done this, start thinking again mixing video and stuff. even tho i'm no serato fan, you should consider it over VDJ for video.

If you don't know what key is then you should read some music theory, it's quite interesting and it's the basics for music production/mashups, etc.

Every song is written in one or more keys (musical scales) and not all of them are compatible between each other. as a DJ you should have at least a basic notion of this even without knowing. Why is that? whenever you are mixing and while hearing the song on air another song just pops into your head as the perfect candidate to mix in, one of the causes of this is that the next song is in the same key (or a compatible one). mixing songs that follow this principle is called "harmonic mixing", not everyone follows it but it does give sets quite a good flow. Even when you do this kind of mix, you shouldn't be tied to it, as certain changes will cause mood swings, etc. it's quite a complex subject.

if you are intending to overlay acapellas, instruments, etc on top of other music, then studying the subject is a MUST.

PS: english is not my native language, so I'm excused if it's unclear XD

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    PS: english is not my native language, so I'm excused if it's unclear XD
    No excuses needed, crystal clear.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

For Hip Hop and scratching you'll want something along the lines of a VCI-300 or a NS7 as you've already touched base on. The S4 is great and everything but you have to remember with these controllers that when your scratching your using a smaller surface. You won't have as much control over the MP3 or the song as you would have on a turntable.

From what you have explained DVS system is MUCH better for what you want to do. Just grab a Midi Fighter or a pair of Dicers with the turntables so you can have control over your cue points.

Key does have some impact in Hip Hop but not as much as EDM. Prep is always important, but if you learn all of your songs well enough it isn't. Learning your songs is more important then getting the next best piece of equipment. When you know your songs you have a certain flow about things rather then having lets say a "set".

Look into the Key of Fifths and the Camelot Wheel as well as Harmonics. Pick up Mixed in Key and things will make sense from there.

PS: In my opinion trying to pick up gigs before you have at least one year of experience can be a big mistake. Make sure your confident enough and know all of your songs and have a couple of good mixes before you go out and start talking to club owners, managers...etc. Of course it all depends on how much you practice.