How do you fly with all the gear?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default How do you fly with all the gear?

I am wondering what are the best methods to bring a midi controller (Vestax VCI..) and your computer on board without damaging stuff? I travelled this weekend and had a backpack case and put my VCI-300 in it and some clothes to help protect it, but thought it could easily get damaged with a fall or sudden push from an angle or other baggage. Also, can be an issue of weight ..So, what are the best ways? Check on as luggage in a music hard box?

Hand Luggage, and if that is not enough, then you should ask the carrier for CARRY ON BOARD luggage. It costs a bit more, but its the safest bet. Normally, if you have no other luggage, they will let you go pretty cheap. Of course that is my personal experience!

I try never to let my stuff out of my sight, even if it means checking my luggage with my clothes & such. I've watched too many baggage handlers who looked as if they were practicing for Olympic discus throwing.

I have a great Targus backpack that holds everything and fits into an overhead, though admittedly it needs more padding & protection. I'm looking at the Namba Studio backpack, which is roomy and well protected, and I want to get my hands on some of the amazingly well-built Kata backpacks for photo gear to see how they'd adapt.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Tech Wizard

i have 2 carry on bags, my backpack and an m-audio studio bag. my clothes get checked. my backpack carrys 2 macbooks, pioneer 909, audio 8, cables and ts records. my other bag carries the vci100, m-audio 02, triggerfinger and a small samson stereo eq. if the venues turntables suck, i use the vci100. its alot of stuff to lug around but its worth it.

Especially when you watch the guy operating the security scanner. It's like Christmas when that backpack slides under that thing.
    Steve Boyett
    Traktor user

Those kata bags do seem kinda cool...but they seem to be targeted at the photographers...with a bunch of slots for extra flashes and lenses...not sure how we would utilize all those slots...l

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyett View Post
    Especially when you watch the guy operating the security scanner. It's like Christmas when that backpack slides under that thing.
    OMG! I can just imagine the reaction to that if you are of middle eastern descent...

Tech Guru

I picked up one of these and very helpful.
    I can pack my VCI -300 and Macbook all in one.

http://us.kensington.com/html/11851.html

Quote Originally Posted by Epedemic View Post
    Those kata bags do seem kinda cool...but they seem to be targeted at the photographers...with a bunch of slots for extra flashes and lenses...not sure how we would utilize all those slots...l
    The slots on many of the kata bags are reconfigurable.
    Steve Boyett
    Traktor user

I can also really recommend case logic for the smaller things:

That one I use for my soundcard and my external soundcard.

This one for my M-Audio Microtrack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast