Gear decision...
    Tech Convert

Default Gear decision...

So I'm faced with a tough decision here.
    I'm brand new to DJing and I have the option of going with the S4, or two CDJ1000s and a DJM800. I understand that the two setups are totally different beasts, but I'm wondering what will be the best for me? I'm 100% on wanting to get into DJing, I've wanted to for a long time and I finally decided to just go for it, so I don't mind the extra cost of the CDJ setup. I'm just not sure what will be more beneficial to my learning. I guess most places will have the CDJ setup so it'd be nice to just start my learning on that...at the same time, the S4 seems like it would be much easier to start on.

Help, anyone?

I'd go with the S4. When I first started DJing I didn't have enough money for a pair of 1200's so I went with an all-in-one midi controller. Never even thought of getting turntables or CDJ's after that. I can do everything (and more) with my midi controller!
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

Honestly what it comes down to what you want to do with the equipment.

If you want to have the ability to use your setup without the use of your computer, the CDJ version is probably the way to go. Most clubs will have a similar (if not the same) setup.

I'm not sure about going with the DJM800, but that's just me. Personally I feel there are other mixers that are more effective in what they do.

Another thing would be being locked into using Traktor with the S4. It might be for you, it might not be. Serato Scratch Live is another amazing DVS program that isn't worth glossing over.

The S4 is awesome though. So if you want full integration with Traktor with a intelligently built controller, it's not a bad bet. If you want versatility and the "club standard" then the CDJ's are probably the way to go.

What it comes down to is what you feel you'd be happier with in the end, because overall, that's all that matters. They both come out with the same end product (music) it's just how you feel will work best personally making it sound decent.

(Personally I'd go with the CDJ setups, because I like the idea of using a computerless system and also being able to try out different DVS options).
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

I know I'm going to be sticking with Traktor for the most part, which the S4 is made for...but CDJs could also work excellently so I'm not sure.
    What would I be losing going for the CDJs over the S4? and vice versa?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You would be losing a lot of money for no real benefit. There is nothing you can do with the CDJ's that you can't do with the S4. However there are things you can't do with the CDJ's that you can do with the S4, at least not without buying more controllers or having to use your mouse and computer. Things like sample decks, looping, cue juggling are all much easier with the S4. If you fear you'll be looked down on because your not using old equipment get some turntables instead of CDJ's. They'll give you more street cred than CDJ's, will be cheaper so you can buy other stuff and are just cooler looking. Don't forget you can connect a set of both TT's and CDJ's to the S4.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    Honestly what it comes down to what you want to do with the equipment.

If you want to have the ability to use your setup without the use of your computer, the CDJ version is probably the way to go. Most clubs will have a similar (if not the same) setup.

I'm not sure about going with the DJM800, but that's just me. Personally I feel there are other mixers that are more effective in what they do.

Another thing would be being locked into using Traktor with the S4. It might be for you, it might not be. Serato Scratch Live is another amazing DVS program that isn't worth glossing over.

The S4 is awesome though. So if you want full integration with Traktor with a intelligently built controller, it's not a bad bet. If you want versatility and the "club standard" then the CDJ's are probably the way to go.

What it comes down to is what you feel you'd be happier with in the end, because overall, that's all that matters. They both come out with the same end product (music) it's just how you feel will work best personally making it sound decent.

(Personally I'd go with the CDJ setups, because I like the idea of using a computerless system and also being able to try out different DVS options).
    This topic has been brought up before aboout cdj vs controller. Being able to use CDJ is a bennifit for club settings and allows you to know ur setup like above.

Also its been argued clubs are more apt to consider you if you DJ with CDJ over Midi

Tech Mentor

With that budget, i will take a xone 4d. Great sounding mixer, analog filters, top notch soundcard and 227 midi parameters for control. Since i got it, i have played many times only with it and it is great. 5kg of weight and takes the space of a turntable with a case.
    You can do whatever you want except for scratch. Also is great to use with live and logic.