S4 for Mashups? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S4 for Mashups?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    hint: you will be able to do the same stuff with regular controllers once the features are a part of traktor (scratch) pro, which has already been confirmed by NI. so there's really no reason to get an S4 unless you need a "fire and forget" type unit that will take the mapping effort off your hands in exchange for not being customizable at all. I'm not sure about the last part though - Karlos, can you confirm?

besides all that, you can do mashups with anything.
    Part of the appeal of the S4 is that it comes with Traktor which I do not have yet, the scratching looks good and I like the idea of having things laid out and mapped so I can get right into it before having to master the software.

hint: you will be able to do the same stuff with regular controllers once the features are a part of traktor (scratch) pro, which has already been confirmed by NI. so there's really no reason to get an S4 unless you need a "fire and forget" type unit that will take the mapping effort off your hands in exchange for not being customizable at all. I'm not sure about the last part though - Karlos, can you confirm?

Hold on. What "not being customizable at all" that's simply not possible. Of course you can map the unit. "Native Instruments Controller Editor" people?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    Hold on. What "not being customizable at all" that's simply not possible. Of course you can map the unit. "Native Instruments Controller Editor" people?
    It will be a fully mappable midi controller. Not sure about mapping in HID mode though.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    It will be a fully mappable midi controller. Not sure about mapping in HID mode though.
    If the case need be somebody could crack the encryption.

There are several layers which the proprietary NHL protocol's security layer could possibly exist on. http://www.softpanorama.org/Net/osi_...l_layers.shtml I'm sure there is a dev kit. If not I'll do some reading on interpreting HID. I'm sure Karlos can enlighten me if he eventually hopes for a S4 jailbreak.

Is there anybody else here skilled in penetration testing/reverse engineering/debugging?

Best case scenario there's no encryption just a special handshake going on between the hardware and application.
    Last edited by maxonemillionone; 10-25-2010 at 07:35 PM.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    If the case need be somebody could crack the encryption.

There are several layers which the proprietary NHL protocol's security layer could possibly exist on. http://www.softpanorama.org/Net/osi_...l_layers.shtml I'm sure there is a dev kit. If not I'll do some reading on interpreting HID. I'm sure Karlos can enlighten me if he eventually hopes for a S4 jailbreak.

Is there anybody else here skilled in penetration testing/reverse engineering/debugging?

Best case scenario there's no encryption just a special handshake going on between the hardware and application.
    lol, this thing ain't even out and you guys are planning to hack it, god bless djtt

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

for not being customizable at all. I'm not sure about the last part though - Karlos, can you confirm?
    Yeah there is a full mapping that copies the NHL mapping that users can tweak in midi mode. Its fully customisable but the NHL mapping is not currently customisable.

Controller Editor is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I really want to know what the alternative mode is all about (thinking midi mode x1).

The new platter system looks like an improvement in the "dj format" controller market, at least in reviews, so this could be a dealbreaker for some.

care to share karlos?
    Yeah just put the S4 in midi mode and its a midi controller like any other.
    The jog wheel is far and above the best jog wheel there is on any midi controller. Nothing comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    lol, this thing ain't even out and you guys are planning to hack it, god bless djtt
    Where theres a will, theres a way !!!

No-one "needs" an S4. You can achieve most of what the S4 can do with a VCI 100 and an X1.
    With the right X1 mapping the sample functions are easy to use with an X1. Its perfect for the job.
    Id certainly not say the the S4 can do things that other controllers cant.
    But mapping the new Copy Mode for samples would be a bitch to do really well but i know a few guys on DJTT that could do it.

What the S4 does that no other controller(s) can do is do all the functions in NHL mode mode and do them on a unit that was designed ti work with Traktor.

I think if you have all the gear already then waiting for the Traktor update/upgrade is wise. If you have a VCI100 and a Midifighter or X1 you will be able to rock Traktors sample/loop features when they come out.

If you then love the sample features you may want to trade and get the S4 for a dedicated controller/soundcard.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

So if your using an X1 for something that's natively labeled on the S4 you'll have to switch to midi mode to use those buttons on the S4 for something else? Guess I need to get a foot switch as well.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Hmm good point.
    I was thinking of my own Midi mapping for the X1 that controls the sampler but yeah your right, NI will probably make an NHL mapping for the X1 and the Sample features.

You could then have your own Midi map for whatever...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12