S4 for Mashups?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S4 for Mashups?

Tech Wizard

Default S4 for Mashups?

I'm not too familiar with DJ controllers and software, I have a bit of experience with turntables, used to have a pair of 1200s and mixer but was mostly into tablism, had to sell all my gear for school though. Now I'm interested in getting back into DJing and a bit of production, just wondering if the S4 would be suitable for creating mash-ups.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gnarly View Post
    I'm not too familiar with DJ controllers and software, I have a bit of experience with turntables, used to have a pair of 1200s and mixer but was mostly into tablism, had to sell all my gear for school though. Now I'm interested in getting back into DJing and a bit of production, just wondering if the S4 would be suitable for creating mash-ups.
    Cheers
    Sure. Any audio manipulating software/hardware combination is capable/suited really. Is it ideal? Not really because the with the Sync function isn't going to fix a drifting drum solo; a problem you don't have with electronic music. You can use warp markers but they aren't as intuitive, or should I say easy, as Ableton's. In the end, yes. I'm sure if you love the profession you'll figure it out.

Tech Wizard

I figured Ableton might be the route to go down, it always seemed a bit tedious to me in the past, but I might have to dust off the Axiom and copy of Live I have. What I'm more interested is doing things live with a controller, rather than in Live.

Tech Guru

I think it's only a matter of time before we get a warping feature in Traktor. If the S4 is suppose to be all about making your own re-edits and eliminating some of the need for a DAW then it's going to have to get warping. Then it truly will be your all in one solution.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I think it's only a matter of time before we get a warping feature in Traktor. If the S4 is suppose to be all about making your own re-edits and eliminating some of the need for a DAW then it's going to have to get warping. Then it truly will be your all in one solution.
    i believe the S4 software does warp on loops and one shots you load in the sample decks. as they're quite short it wouldn't take as much processing power as it would a whole track.

with the way those samplers work you can pretty much do the ableton thing, while having traditional flexibility on the other decks.

for this reason i say - S4 over ableton

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I asked this over on the NI forum and it's something that NI has on the road map for Traktor. I agree this is a missing piece and as Traktor gets updates I'm sure the folks at NI are aware of how Ableton works and what needs to be improved in Traktor. Hopefully sooner than later.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

S4 is amazing for mashups.
    Take a track and sample a section, add one of your own drum loops or percussion.
    Load the same track in Deck B and filter the vocal out over the top of the loops.
    Sample the chorus, loop in a Sample deck.
    Before you know it you have a totally different version that SOUNDS BLOODY AWFUL...

Just kidding... you will surprise yourself how quickly you pick the sample functions up and can get creative and deconstruct tracks.
    I was a bit 'Meh' about the Sampler as a creative feature in Traktor but im addicted now.

If want to do Mashups manually on the fly and add a bit of a live feel rather than the more mechanical Ableton way then S4 is totally for you.
    (i know Ableton isnt really mechanical but you get what i mean)

Tech Wizard

You guys deserve commission on this, I'm pretty much sold on the S4. Now the hard part is getting the cash.

ctrld

hint: you will be able to do the same stuff with regular controllers once the features are a part of traktor (scratch) pro, which has already been confirmed by NI. so there's really no reason to get an S4 unless you need a "fire and forget" type unit that will take the mapping effort off your hands in exchange for not being customizable at all. I'm not sure about the last part though - Karlos, can you confirm?

besides all that, you can do mashups with anything.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    hint: you will be able to do the same stuff with regular controllers once the features are a part of traktor (scratch) pro, which has already been confirmed by NI. so there's really no reason to get an S4 unless you need a "fire and forget" type unit that will take the mapping effort off your hands in exchange for not being customizable at all. I'm not sure about the last part though - Karlos, can you confirm?

besides all that, you can do mashups with anything.
    I really want to know what the alternative mode is all about (thinking midi mode x1).

The new platter system looks like an improvement in the "dj format" controller market, at least in reviews, so this could be a dealbreaker for some.

care to share karlos?

In my case, im jog abstinent and need to get back with my roots... besides, i'm too lazy for set preaparation in live, IMO it takes the fun out of it. I like mapping (would love it with a resizable window) and taking myself and the controller to the limit, so i see it as a promising piece of hardware rather than what is written on the top plate.
    Last edited by padi_04; 10-25-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast