Dicer & Midifighter inspired controller (Joypad PCB) NEED HELP!

Default Dicer & Midifighter inspired controller (Joypad PCB) NEED HELP!

I decided to try building an arcade button controller for turntables. I was browsing alot of DJTT and arcade cabinet forums for this and got comfident that i could really build this.
    I wanted to build 2 of these using only one USB port, so decided to try this one and just hope it's easily hackable:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    Arcade buttons for the first prototype i ordered from Dealextreme.com where they were only 1 dollar each including shipping (bulk):
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37487

Today i finally received my parts, but now I also need some help where to solder. I have pics included and I think that the Joypad has a common ground. Am i right? There seems to be easily pointed solder points aswell, those silver dots next to buttons.

So do I solder one point of the button to the "button solder point" on PCB and other point to ground? Is it really that simple? I've marked the solder points with red dots and ground(s) with blue line. Those trigger PCB's are useless for me since I will only need 6 buttons / controller.

The controller will be the same width as SL1200 on battle position, so I can use it on front of my turntables, OR on each side of the mixer. So length (depth) will be 35cm and width 6cm. I will make the case out of plywood and cover from acrylic. I have all the needed materials for the case at work.

4 buttons will be for CUE points and 2 extra points are for sync and effect (maybe, I haven't decided yet).

Total costs so far are: buttons 10USD, controller 10USD. So this will be super cheap!
    Parts:

PCB with solder points(?) marked with reds and blues are ground(?):

Button:

Thanks in advance for everyone who's willing to help me out.
    Last edited by thugsucker; 10-26-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Might wanna try and get in touch with this guy on the Torq-DJ forum. He looks to have a similar button setup.

http://www.torq-dj.com/forum/viewtop...=17035&start=0
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

Looks like it should work fine. I would set one up to test it out. Use one of the points you have marked in red, and a ground from the paddle buttons since you're not going to use those. If it doesn't work, then just solder them to each side of the contact triggers.

So do I solder one point of the button to the "button solder point" on PCB and other point to ground? Is it really that simple?
    Yes it really is that simple. Also remember that if your gamepad does share a common ground (Mine did for the buttons but not for the pots) you only need to solder 1 of your arcade buttons to the ground on the gamepad then then loop from 1 arcade button to the next.

Like this (Blue is ground)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by extraclassic; 10-27-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Thank you so much! I'll post some more when i'll start soldering and building the case. Anyone know a free software for Mac to convert gamepad to keystrokes or midi?

btw. ExtraClassic I loved your work!

Tech Wizard

Hey Thug, midihid and puredata is free for mac. I plan on building a controller, just waiting on parts to come in.

I finished the acrylic faceplate today and soldered first controller to joypad's PCB. Thank you so much for help. I just can't believe how easy this is! Here's some photos of work progress. Now I just gotta build the rest of the case and I'm done with the first controller. Still have that joypad hanging from the other end LOL. Would be kick ass to solder one blue LED to each controller to lid when they're connected. I doubt that'll be hard project either? Does anyone know how to do that? Would really appreciate help again.

Here's the sanded acrylic faceplate with buttons attached. I should've done it better, but I was in a rush kinda:

I painted it with Montana Hardcore matte black, be cause I had that can layin' around. I have also some Montana Gold lack, but I already connected the buttons, so it'll just have to do like that. I'll finish my later projects better. It turned out fine anyway:

Grounds connected:

Soldering to PCB:

I have a really bad soldering iron and I messed one button. It melted from the switch:

So I just changed it to new one and everything's working:

(testing it with Gempad Companion's shareware version till I try Joe A recommended)

Tech Wizard

that looks nice. u might have to give me some instructions when I start mine..

^Would be glad to!

Do I solder the LED to the point where PCB takes power from USB? It says 3,5V on one solder point. Should I just solder a wire there, attach it to one LED (+ or -?) and other of LED to ground? I want the LED only to indicate the controller is on.

These 3mm leds have forward voltage of 3-3.3V. Do I need resistor for them? (I'm guessing no.):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/20pcs-3mm-Blue-R...item255ccb9b5c
    Last edited by thugsucker; 11-02-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Tech Wizard

Hey Thug, how's it going.. I found some good apps to help convert hid to midi.. I tried Axis, it works awesome.. I used it to convert my guitar hero guitar into an instrument I can use in Garageband or any other virtual instrument software and then can be changed over to send midi messages to your software.. Another one that I just started to work with is controllermate.. this one is pretty good too..
    by the way Axis is free and Controllermate is $15 for full use.

Question, in case anyone can help me, I have the guitar hero guitar and a Gravis gamepad pro that Controllermate recognizes and will help me convert over to midi.. I would like to take the gamepad internals and somehow install in the guitar so i can have more buttons and such.. Anyone know if I cut the usb off the gamepad and take the wires and solder them to the input power wires coming into the guitar would it work? Can one usb be used to power up both of these and would it confuse the hid to midi software?

I hope I'm clear on my questions..

Thanks in advance..