Broken MPD24

Thread: Broken MPD24

Default Broken MPD24

Hey guys

My friend has and MPD24 that he's trying to sell so I'm borrowing it now to make sure I can get it to do what I want first. I'm already using a Hercules RMX so I figured I'd use the MPD for cue juggling, effects control and browser searching. I think some of the knobs are broken and I'm having trouble getting all the pads to work with the different banks. I've never used one of these before so I figured somebody with more experience might know what's going on.

First things first. In order to avoid having the MPD and the RMX have overlapping MIDI notes I had to change the channel on the MPD to channel 2.

Broken Knobs: I set the bottom 3 knobs on the left side to adjust parameters 1-3 on FX unit 1. The do raise and lower the amount of each param but only between 25%-75%. They don't go all the way up and they don't go all the way down. I set the knobs on the right hand side to control the same thing but for FX unit 2... No problems. I've tried swapping them and it's always the left knobs that don't work.

Broken knobs 2.0: The top two knobs work fine when set to control FX parameters so you would think they work fine for everything else... I set them to control the tree and list up/down in the browser but they only go so far in either direction.

Broken Pad Banks: All 12 of the pads work when set to launch que points in bank A. When trying to do the same in banks B,C or D MIDI learn doesn't recognize anything from the top 4 pads.

If anyone has any insight as to what's causing these problems or how to fix them, that would be awesome! Below is the gui for how I would like to set things up when I can get the MPD24 working.

Thanks!
    -Brett

The only way to know forsure is to open it up and look for obvious signs of damage on the encoder. My solution. But some replacement encoders for those knobs. Do the replacement your self. Should cost 10 dollars at most. See if the replacement does the trick and you'll learn how to service your own controllers. To be honest that's what I would do if I was ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE it wasn't software related.

Before opening I would make sure the midi/firewire/USB W/ Type B connector is 100% functional before proceeding to repair.

Tech Mentor

good news mate they are not broken.i have a 32 and for mapping you can choose what range the knobs control.if you look at the lcd panel whilst turning the knob the value should be 0 on the left and 127 on the right.you can edit from the panel aswell as the vyzex editor software that if you havent got your friend will prob have it.the broken 2,you have to set the fader setting in traktor to increment and decrement or it will only go from 0 to 127.broken pad banks,if it recognises the pads in bank a i cant see the others not working.check the lcd screen whilst pressing the pads to see the output cc's,values etc.

edit:-for broken 2 you might have to change the setting on the 24. touch said fader so you can see it in lcd,then press edit on the 24,then select prog change(i think) then inc and dec or something like that.
    Last edited by calvin01; 10-27-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Tech Mentor

if anyone knows how to get led feedback on the mpd32 i would be grateful.i've followed vids i've seen on here but not working??

ctrld

@OP: take a good look at the values and type of control you pads are sending. are they sending notes or CCs, what are the aftertouch settings etc. - this is much easier when you grad the vyzex mpd editor from the akai website.

I've never seen a broken MPC pad in my whole life.

Tech Mentor

personally its easier to do it on the hardware for traktor.much easier

ctrld do u know if the encoders are endless as i cant get them to act like it?