Upgrading/Optimizing MacBook Pro for DJing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Upgrading/Optimizing MacBook Pro for DJing

I have a 2.16 GHz MBP w/ 1GB of RAM & a 120GB HD. It is about 4 years old. Still a great computer, but could use some upgrades to optimize for djing purposes.

Obviously, much more RAM and a larger HD will be on the top of my list. Other than this, are there any other improvements I should consider?

Don't run any other programs (including system apps) while DJing, turn off Airport and other internal processes.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Snow Leopard is faster and should run pretty well.

Tech Convert

I would recommend getting an ssd inside, and if you need more space get an external drive. The ssd will greatly improve the speed at which things happen; it will seem like a whole new computer. 2gb or ram would be good, 4 would be even better but not really necessary.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

A fresh install of 10.6 will only cost you $29 and is well worth it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Keep in mind that your laptop only supports a maximum of 3GB RAM. Has something to do with the chipset...
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by DennisHuiberts View Post
    Keep in mind that your laptop only supports a maximum of 3GB RAM. Has something to do with the chipset...
    ~2.5GB RAM is the limit for a 32 bit OS, but Snow Leopard is 64 bit. Theoretically that means it can support a lot more, whether the hardware can back this up I don't know!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

ram first
    os second
    sdd third

would be my recommendation
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

SSD upgrade would be fine, but more importantly you need to ditch the Super Drive and get an OptiBay. I put one in mine and I have an "extra" 1TB drive in there. Faster than external... and you don't have to drag it along w/ you to gigs. I've got about 400 WAV tracks in my Traktor collection and they don't even put a dent in it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    SSD upgrade would be fine, but more importantly you need to ditch the Super Drive and get an OptiBay. I put one in mine and I have an "extra" 1TB drive in there. Faster than external... and you don't have to drag it along w/ you to gigs. I've got about 400 WAV tracks in my Traktor collection and they don't even put a dent in it.
    woah woah woah

hold the phone (mbp newb here)

you can just swap out the useless optical for extra space?

wtf??
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast