S4 or xone 42 + 2kx1's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default S4 or xone 42 + 2kx1's

Hello everybody,
    I would like some advice on some new stuff I'm up to.
    My current setup is: a 15,4 mbp, audio 4dj, tsp, NI KX1 controller, reloop rmx-30 mixer and 2 tt's.
    My question is should I go for 2 kx1's and a xone 42 mixer(probably with a midifighter to map the sample triggers vof the s4 software or tsp urgrade when it comes out)
    Or buy an s4 selling my audio 4dj and mixer.
    I'm evenly interested in both club and mobile djing as I'm doing all kins of gigs.
    I'm listening to your opinions, thank you in advance.
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Tech Mentor

Anyone?
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

Tech Guru

personally id opt for two x1's and the a&h xone 42.
    it has more flexibility for clubs, and im sure would be fine for mobile work too.
    i love my x1 cant wait to get a second, and i will be getting a xone 42, a&h mixers are amazing.

i 2nd the above,tbh i aint in to all in one units as you have to take that everywhere

i love my x1s and you cant be A&H prouducts for sound and build
    and as amadues said you could just roll up to a club with a small bag with timecode and x1s instead of having to lug something heavy about

Tech Mentor

Do you think this system(xone 42 x1's) will lack any controll the s4 provides?

Tech Guru

Yes, no direct sample deck control, No loop recorder, no jog wheels for scrolling through tracks/scratching. If you wanted to eventually add timecode you would need to buy an audio 8 DJ which you don't need with the S4, no nice big buttons for jamming on hot cues, no pitch faders, no bragging rights haha.

I don't know to me, if I were to use two X1's in a club I would feel the need to just use timecode CDJ's and maybe one X1 with that type of set up.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Guru

I had a 42 and 2 X1’s and audio 8.

I will say that the sound that comes out of a Xone:42 is pure sex. The precise change when moving eq’s, the quality of sound, and the build are top notch. The X1’s also give you plenty of control and probably more buttons and knobs to control everything including future updates with sampler decks. It is a sweet set-up if you play strictly EDM/House music. But it as lots of cons:
    Cons:
    - no jogwheels to scroll with. You can use the encoders, but its not the same
    - no pitch faders. The X1’s are handled with buttons
    - you need an audio 8 and connect each channel
    - the Xone is pretty bulky for transport
    - it’s pricey

Having that set up before and seeing the S4, I would get the S4. Aside from the great analogue sound you get from the 42 and the filters I don’t see it better than a S4. Now if your thinking about expanding, using timecode, already own TSP and an audio 8, etc. It could have it’s benefits. Side – by – side I would at 899.00 I would get an S4. Either way I think you hit a homerun with either system. The Xone produces awesome sound.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

I am using 2 X1 + 92, its great if you beat grid everything beforehand and then sync everything. I mix mainly house, tech-house, techno, minimal which i find it works well for. Not used in club setting, also requires lots of cables!

I think it depends alot on how you play. With the X1 setup you can have 3 or 4 loops running with full EQ + filters and effects, not sure how easy if it to achieve this on S4?b Any one?
    Traktor Pro 2 -/- Xone 92 -/- Audio 8 DJ -/- 2x Kontrol X1 -/- Maschine -/- Xone XD53 -/- KRK RP6

Tech Mentor

I was thinking of create a custom mapping for the x1's. Keep effects section as is, as well as the left side of the deck to control each main deck. Then use the right deck side for the sample/loop section of the s4. Moreover I don't think that the jog wheel and the pitchfader are an absolute necessity for my mixing style and can be easily emulated from timecoded cdjs or tt's.
    I don't need an audio 8 as I need 2 stereo inputs and four mono outs.

Tech Wizard

I was considering this solution as well, or rather something close to it (42 + x1s) as well I considered the xone 4d with a mapping for Traktor. Many of the issues came into consideration when I asked myself why I sold my 1200s and my serato. I did it to consolidate. I needed all the desk space or well.. No deskspace as my living situation has changed. Also, I wanted something digital. You may want to ask yourself all these things. They may not matter at all, but you may want to ask what each setup benefits you. The one thing that pushed me from away from the Xone4d were the small little buttons that can be remapped above the jog wheeel. I feel they're too tiny to jam on. Ask yourself if you can be without jog dials (x1s) and how much sound quality (xone 42) is to you. for me SQ isn't #1 as I'm not playing out and honestly I do it for fun. The loss of SQ is not going to kill me as I'll still enjoy what I'm doing.

Just my 2cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast