So I had my first club gig on Friday... :D
    Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Default So I had my first club gig on Friday... :D

As some of you may know, I had my first gig on Friday playing at a local club in a DJ Competition. Time slots were only 25 minutes as there were 6 of us competing, and most people played house of some sort (electro, tech, etc.). My set was all over the place for genres, but I was surprised how well liked the Drum & Bass at the end was, though apparently Dubstep is just NOT played in the Purple Room.

First prize was 100$ and a return gig, 2nd was 50$.

While I didn't win, I had a blast, the promoter who set up the whole thing (also closed the night) thought my set was great though and was jamming out to most of it, also had people coming up and complimenting me throughout my set

Anyways, yeah, long story short I'd say it was a success, I had a really good time, got myself out there and proved my skills.

I recorded the set so here it is, a little rough in some places but I'm still happy for my first time playing live:

Setlist is on my soundcloud page, also the first 5 minutes was recorded separately cause I forgot to start the recording until halfway through 'Heartbreaker'.

Also a couple photos of myself from the event:
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

Good job man keep it up!!!
    15.4 mbp i5, NI X-1(x2), Allen & Heath Xone-42, NI Audio 4dj , TSP 2.0.1, Stanton Uberstand.

nice set man, I love listening to dubstep, but unless I was at a club specifically to hear it, I wouldnt want to hear that when I'm trying to dance. Recently I was in a dj competition similar to yours. Me and another guy there were the only ones that played any hip-hop. long story short, we're now a dj duo and landed a residency at a club after just one time playing out together. keep at it

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Thanks guys!
    Yeah, the dubstep was in part cause I had a bunch of friends show up for it and they were expecting me to play some, plus I like the stuff too lol.

Also, big up to forum member rjw (a.k.a 48K) whose remix of RuN RIoT's Vengeance I used at the beginning of my set, big tune and really got the crowd going!
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.