Setting up a live audio broadcast?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting up a live audio broadcast?

Hi there DJTechTools,

What I want to do is broadcast live audio to the internet and I'm looking for some suggestions on how to do that. Before when I had my old laptop I could use Ustream with the laptop's built in soundcard and it worked perfectly. But now I've got a new laptop with a built in webcam and I can't select the laptop's soundcard (or my audio 2) as an option. I've tried disabling the webcam but nothing works.

So I'm looking for an alternative way to broadcast a live audio stream from either my Audio 2 (preferably) or the laptop's soundcard. Can someone point me in the right direction on what to use to make this work?

Thanks, Misha
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Tech Guru

I had the same issue. Here is what you do.

From your Audio 2 master, you need a splitter.

This is mine:

What it does is that it splits the output 2 ways (I am pretty sure it makes it left and right). From one of those, plug in te cable you normally put into the master out. On the one, you need to buy a cable that is xlr/1.8 (<--size of audio in jack for laptops) male/male. Hook that up into your audio-in and you should be good to go.

Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Mac or PC?

Can't help you if you're running Windows, but in overview...

If you've got a Mac, you can use SoundFlower to "re-route" your system's audio. I've managed to get Traktor's Master out to Ustream's audio feed while sacrificing the ability to get a dedicated Master out; with this setup, the Master goes to the headphones only.

Geting a video feed with that is trickier. If you're out of video options from your laptop (it's more fun to see the decks than stare at the DJ online), theoretically, you can Ustream from a 2nd video source (and account) and overlay that feed on top of the audio broadcast picture-in-picture style. The main problem with this however is latency.

Back to audio...
    Again, if you're on a Mac, you could probably use Nicecast ($40) which streams to mp3 format, which means it's widely compatible with media players like iTunes, Winamp, VLC, etc. I haven't used it in two years, to be honest, but it looks like the devs extended the noise-free trial limit up to an hour before they gimp the audio stream.
    AtmospHouse - Deep Tech w/tracklist & dl
    Hard House v1 - Sandro Silva - Dirty Dutch w/tracklist & dl

http://soundcloud.com/redux/ - Enjoy =)

Heh, looks like you've got both analog and (potential) digital solutions.

Best of luck.
    AtmospHouse - Deep Tech w/tracklist & dl
    Hard House v1 - Sandro Silva - Dirty Dutch w/tracklist & dl

http://soundcloud.com/redux/ - Enjoy =)

Tech Convert

Yeah, I'm trying to stream with windows.

I already try a lot of different settings.
    I have a laptop with windows 7 64bits, hercules deejay trim 4&6 as a soundcard and DJ Control Steel.

If I choose the deejay trim on ustream audio settings I got no sound at all, only chance is choosing the onboard soundcard (IDT HD) Mic, I got sound, but it's like if people were listening in the bathroom, and with a lot of noise. Really really bad.
    Already tried in a different lap with realtek onboard drivers but it's pretty the same.

I really cant' figure how to fix this. Anyone can give me a clue please???

Ian
    Last edited by IanBar; 01-26-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Did you tried with Winamp + Shoutcast DSP With a MP3 128KBps stream?

Winamp will use the default Line In card, so you need to specifiy it in windows 7 audio settings.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Al the guys that use window on our station use winamp I think, but I don't know anything about it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

there's still BUTT

http://butt.sourceforge.net/

Can't comment too much on that one though...

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    Did you tried with Winamp + Shoutcast DSP With a MP3 128KBps stream?

Winamp will use the default Line In card, so you need to specifiy it in windows 7 audio settings.
    Ok, sorry if I'm missing something but, can I use winamp + Shoutcast DSP for streaming on USTREAM??? Because on ustream I just need to login and fill the password while on Shoutcast DSP I need to fill the address and port.

just a thought, if you computer has a line in, send the master from the audio to the the line in.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast