First actual dj gig this weekend -- and the stakes are HIGH
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First actual dj gig this weekend -- and the stakes are HIGH

This Saturday will be an epic one for sure. I've been into this dj stuff for about 5 years now, as in actually mixing my own music, but I never ever had any intentions of making a career, or even performing in clubs, at all. My day job is in IT, I'm hitting 30 very soon, and I just don't care.

Over the years, i've bought a lot of hardware, selft-taught myelf how to mix, beatmatch, read and watched tons of videos online, and practiced non stop. As in few hours a day. I got pretty damn good at this. I like dong those mix tracks for friends or to put as background music for when I have people over, and people always comment about how professional the mixing is, and if its from some sort of commercial mix cd bla bl bla. But I have never 'performed' in front of people. Except for my girlfriend or people who wanted to watch me doing this.

After two months of personal hell (more on this later), my girlfriends asked me if i could dj for her huge halloween party at her house. There's going to be a lot of people for a house party, around 70-80. The twist is.. My girlfriend works in the music industry. Those people are all going to be personal friends and local music industry people. People from all sorts of walks of life, metal guitarists, big time hip hop guys, folk signers, session musicians, etc.

Holy crap!

She is having some guy bringing in all sort of smoke and light systems, lasers, etc; and her parties are always known to be batshit insane. This is going to be a HUGEEE thing.. and she asked me to dj.

She asked me not to actual spin all night, to just put on some playlist (..this explain the random thread I made earlier this week about using traktor in shuffle mode :eek, because she wants to introduce me to all her friends, but that she wants me to do an insane set at around midnight.

So basically, yeah, my first gig will be an epic one..tons of industry people, at a huge bash. It wont be a formal formal party, just a huge bash between friends who will want to get drunk and laugh, but still.. Damn. We also had some very thought times in the past month (random pregnancy, miscarriage, I spare you the details) but we are slowly rebuilding things up, so this party will be an important waypoint in our relationship.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, here are the dirty tech details!:

I was planning at first to go there with a classic setup, my trusty DENON DH-HS5500 and my DENON DS-1500 mixer with an efx unit; I ended up ordering an odyssey flight case online and of course the idiots manage to somehow DAMAGE the case while shipping, and theres no way in hell i'm going to bring my turntable setup all 'loose' like that. It will look stupid and its not safe.

So I'll be going in with my Dell VCI-100 with the 1.3 firmware and Ean's red led limited edition of the Midi Fighter. It's going to be interesting to use a midi controller to perform instead of a more classical turntable setup, and i'm sure that people are going to be :eek: at my setup. I just hope that everything will turn out well and faultless.

I'll be bringing tons of extra usb and audio cables, powerbars, and so on.

Stress stress stress!

I have all the 'mainstream background music' playlist ready, but my set isnt even read yet. I usually just improvise when I do my mixes, but I'm not sure its a good idea when you are doing this live, possibly drunk, and wearing a full gladiator armor outfit complete with cape and helmet.

I still have two days to work on this.
    Last edited by Combo Breaker; 10-28-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Combo Breaker View Post
    possibly drunk
    Try drinking one glass of water for every glass of alcohol, will take most of the drunk factor uit of the equation. This might be a good idea if you want to be taken seriously by the industry folk.
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

you had me at batshit insane.

just have fun relax enjoy your party and dont get wasted untill you have played your set

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Try the water deal and wait 45 minutes to an hour between drinks until your insane set is over. If your more comfortable with your turntables find a way to bring them. If your worried about people seeing you carrying around turntables set them up the day before. keep your cables organized and clean in the back and it will look fine.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

You'll be fine mate - enjoy it - thats what its about

I go against what the guys say above - get off ya tits on a few e's and it'll be even better

lol

Only joking ...

I think ...
    SC | MC

Enjoy!

I gotta do a family thing this weekend too.

a 21st......arg....
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

Got a Halloween bash to play at this weekend as well. Local promoter is putting on a private party with a lineup of DJ's. I know exactly how you feel man.

I tend to be over critical of my own sets and it's harder for me to mix in the club. I have social anxiety on slightly higher level then your average person (nothing I take scripts for though).

I just try to remember at the end of the day they're just people like you and I. Don't put them on a pedestal and just be yourself. After all, this is a hobby and past time for you, not a career. Leave the stress to the touring DJ's that make a life out of it.

There is always a fine line between too much alcohol and just the right amount. Once that peak is hit grab the glass of water and ride the buzz as best you can. Shots are always a bad idea unless you got the tolerance of an elephant or something.
    Native Instruments Kontrol S4
    Apple Macbook (OS/X 10.5)
    Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (3MB L2 cache)
    2GB PC5300 DDR2-667

do it like youd do it in the bedroom (tee hee) but feed off the energy of the others. if theyre chill, keep cool, otherwise go nuts. dont stress though, seems that vibe would get out in a hurry.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Dont have a rigid playlist but have a collection of mixes that you know go well together.

Sounds like you know how to mix, dont worry you wont suddenly forget just because there are people there and you're nervous...

I can ride a bike... if a million people were watching me i would still be able to ride a bike.

a few well worked out mixes of tracks is enough to impress people technically but if you just take a minute and think to your self what, in mh opinion, is the song that most people in this room will like, including yourself, play it and chances are people will like it.

I know this sounds like basics but it's doing the basics right that is the key to djing in front of a crowd.

nice one
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

have some drinks, but dont become frank the tank!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast