End of an era...
    Tech Convert

Default End of an era...

As I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on my S4 (got an email mine would ship on 11/1), Panasonic announced they are ceasing production of the SL-1200 turntable. Sad to see such staple go, but excited for where technology is progressing. I'm glad I started on vinyl, I think there is still something about "touching" the music that shaped how I play. Even if they go unused, I'll never part w my 1200s.

press release was from the 1st of this month ... think there was another thread about this ...

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....R5wqOXDnFrs%3D

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Wizard

That's so sad

I thought this topic would be on the end of the VCI era, since I'm sure that, starting monday, the discussion will instantly be more S4 than VCI.
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Panasonic announced they are ceasing production of the SL-1200 turntable.
    Is this time for real? Kinda tired of reading false Panasonic announcements.

Example: http://djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9138

TECHNICS TURNTABLES to be Discontinued

Panasonic announces Technics production to cease in February 2010

The Technics SL-1200 and Technics SL-1210 turntables have shaped the world we know today. Featured in the London Museum of Science and Technology they are regarded as a major stepping stone in how music is played and presented.

We have just heard the sad new from Panasonic (the manufacturer of Technics) that production of the world famous Technics SL-1200 and SL-1210 DJ turntables will stop at the end of February 2010. This marks the end of an era - Technics have been the industry standard for over 35 years with this turntable and the SL-1200 is synonymous with the DJ culture. It has been released and re-released over 9 times with different models and numerous other manufacturers have tried to compete with this deck, but above all, the Technics SL-1200 & Technics SL-1210 are the undisputed number one deck in the world.

must admit this rumour has been flying around for ages, if they go they go I still have mine and can still get them fixed so not overly worried, i loved that link though giving you all the how sad and how its the end of an era then advertising places you could purchase said technics ;-)

Tech Guru

There will always be a nearly endless supply of technics since they are invincible.

Tech Wizard

I felt horrible selling mine, but now I'm actually excited to jump onto an S4. Everything evolves. Its like old people who refuse to learn computers. They were so used to one way of doing something. Its a natural thing with humans to not want to adapt that quickly.
    Last edited by nerve; 10-29-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Yeah if you check decks.co.uk they still have some 1210 MkIIs and Mk5s but everything else is listed as discontinued.

Might buy some and put them in the loft then sell them on antiques roadshow in 50 years for a gazbillion quid
    SC | MC

i'm still not sure if i believe this but i am glad i'm picked up a set of mk5s earlier this year, i'm sure they'll last beyond my lifetime.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5
    Behringer DJX 700
    Traktor Scratch Pro and Audio 8 DJ
    Novation Dicers
    http://soundcloud.com/anok-1