Learning on a serious budget
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Learning on a serious budget

Hey

So I really want to get into DJ'ing, I was planning on getting a VCI-100SE and a A2DJ, but I really don't have the money at the moment.

So I figured, since at the start I'm not going to be doing anything particularly complex I could just use my keyboard instead of a VCI-100 and a demo version of Traktor pro, then get an A2DJ, use my current cheap headphones and buy some cheap ass speakers.

Would this be good enough to learn with until I can afford to buy some equipment?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by scribble; 10-29-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Have you got any experience of DJing at all (cdjs or turntables etc)?
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Tech Wizard

Not in the slightest, total newbie :P

Panda had an amazing tsi for just a keyboard,so yes it can be done

Tech Wizard

Cool, could you tell me where I could find that? Thanks

Tech Guru

honestly you could do ALOT on a tight budget. Buying used is your friend.

I think the best budget controller for Traktor is Numark Mixtrack. Normal price is 150.00 but I think someone got one for 100 bucks on Ebay. The audio 2 is a great sound card for 100.00, I've seen Maya44 go for 60.00. And with the S4 starting to ship tons of people are selling gear right now. You could probably buy someones Traktor Pro license right now for fairly cheap, maybe even with an audio 2. I would think for just over 200.00 - 220.00 you could do some damage on a decent set up that would allow you to learn and rock a good set.

I used to plug into my surround sound in my living room or a cheap little home radio that had two RCA ins to practice at home. It can be done.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

the numark control is the best budget controler u can get that for like £50 now

Tech Wizard

I was tempted to do that but I know that by xmas, easter at the latest, I'll have money to spare, cause I'm gonna be getting more hours at work soon.

So I dont really wanna spend 100/200 quid now and then want to spend more when I have it. I'm a big believer in quality products, so I was more looking into what I can do now for next to nothing and then upgrade later.

Soundcard would definitely be your best bet first mate.

You can get an Audio 2 DJ from NI for around £80 new and if you can find a 2nd hand one then even cheaper.

This will stand the test of time as it will be quality enough to use whatever set up you end up with (unless you go timecode route but baby steps first). This way you can cue tracks and learn the basics of DJing using the keyboard TSI as stated.
    MBP, 15.4", Ableton Live 8 Suite, Novation Remote SL, Pioneer XDJ-RX, Traktor, VCI 100SE!

Hercules Steel and Audio 2.

$300. Can't do much better on the cheap.
    Hercules Steel Controller
    Native Instrument Audio 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast