kontrol S4 users: where will you potentially put your S4 "in the club"?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default kontrol S4 users: where will you potentially put your S4 "in the club"?

so ever since the S4 came out, ive been getting more and more excited that clubs may actually cater to djs using controllers by giving them a little bit of space in their booths. as of right now, sometimes you will get lucky and have a little table space for your controller(s), but for the most part, booths are crammed and taken up by TTs/cdjs and a mixer. so my question to all that are anxiously awaiting the S4, is how do you plan on playing out in clubs and bars with no room for a controller? will you scrap the S4 for that particular gig and use a timecode setup? will you attempt to move one of the turntables to make room? will you put it on top of a turntable? use a huge laptop stand? maybe 2?

the reason i ask this is because i am very curious how it will play out in a club situation. i dont plan on getting an S4 (just yet), but have a controller setup that is very similar in size, and im hoping to get some more club gigs comin up. ive been pondering this for a while now, and the best solution i have come up with is to 1)know what kinda booth space you have to work with prior to the gig and 2) potentially have a TT decksaver on hand, and in the worst case scenario (no booth space whatsoever) throw the decksaver on the TT and set your controller on top, and plug into the house mixer as usual. the new decksavers, although pricey, look to be very sturdy, capable of holding the weight of at least a controller. does anyone have any other ideas for this? let me know, very curious as to what your guys' plans are for this...

No room? Make f**king room

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    yeh, CDJs are SOOO last decade, just hand them out into the crowd as souvenirs.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Just call the club in advance and they'll be sure to have the red carpet rolled out for it. Maybe even a backdrop with some smexy babes to take photos with the 'unit'.
    Native Instruments Kontrol S4
    Apple Macbook (OS/X 10.5)
    Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (3MB L2 cache)
    2GB PC5300 DDR2-667

I've been in this kind of situation before. It was a simple solution. I unplugged on of the CDJ's shifted the mixer over a little and fit my controller right in there. It fitted fine. I've noticed that DJ booths used to be pretty squashed with CDJ's, mixer and TT's, but now most of the clubs have just CDJ's and mixer setup with a space for your laptop if you use timecode.

I think now days most of the clubs (in my experience) have started to embrace the digital Dj, and have an allocated space in the booth for controller setup or at the very least space for laptops. Since I've been using my setup in clubs I havent had any issues or maybe I'm just lucky. The S4 is larger than standard controllers, true.. but a liitle bit of organizing around the booth before hand, and it will fit perfrctly I'm sure. If I managed to fit my RMX into the booth with 4 CDJ's and mixer I'm sure the S4 will soon find a space in most Dj booths.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    yeh, CDJs are SOOO last decade, just hand them out into the crowd as souvenirs.
    Watch this. Go to 12 min point and dj swamp will show you what to do with the cdj's :eek:

http://www.muzu.tv/dmcusa/dj-swamp-s...c-video/543838
    Maschine, Abelton live, Massive, Samson studio monitors, Ks4, New truss, revo 4, Chauvet minspots on the way,Traktor pro Thank goodness for just needing the sn#!!),2nd 13" macbook

All fire lost:Signed Vci-100 arcade, akai lpd8,Truss and all lighting, 13" macbook, hercules rmx

Quote Originally Posted by Dj just b View Post
    Watch this. Go to 12 min point and dj swamp will show you what to do with the cdj's :eek:

fuck me! despite what I said earlier, does he know how much those things cost???
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by Dj just b View Post

That was

what a dumb ass...i get it turntable are better for scratching.

I guess I will melt all my vinyl to make a custom midi controller.

Back on topic.

Good luck trying to get a S4 in the booth...I can barley find room for a x1 and a vci
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post

Good luck trying to get a S4 in the booth...I can barley find room for a x1 and a vci
    Really? I've never had issues with not finding space, sure sometimes the booth is cramped but at the very least theres some space for an X1 or a controller.

Sometimes when I arrived, and saw theres not much space I just removed one of the CDJ's as I wrote before. The S4 is large but a Dj always makes a plan!
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast