Back-up ideas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back-up ideas?

Tech Wizard

Default Back-up ideas?

Hi Guys,

Looks like I'm gonna get the S4, but I need a second source for back-up.

Off course the other option is running a VCI into something...

have been considering the S4 and having VDJ as back-up via an adjacent Hercules. I'm quite happy to take out another laptop and fancy another programme to mess around on.

Also considered the Denon itch controller, which appears to have taken a price drop here.

Got to the point where I'm over analysing and thinking too much about this, so fresh input/ideas would be good?

Thanks,
    Martin

backup controller? wowowow one step at a time.
    Do you want a controller incase your s4 crashes or you have issues? or do you want another controller for the sake of having something different to play on?

I take it you already have a controller besides the s4 (vci-100?) For backup purposes i think that would be best,

For another controller for the sake of having another one? i would probobly go for something itch related because ive never played on it, but i dont see the point in having 2 controllers please elaborate a little more.
    Last edited by DJMilk3y; 10-30-2010 at 05:51 AM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

You dont need a backup controller out at gigs dude.
    The KS4 is rock solid. Ive done about 30 gigs, all 5 hours and over and without a blip.

I took the VCI 100 out with me at first when i was testing the S4 but i stopped after a few gigs as i realised that it wasnt needed.

If the controller crashes just have your CD backup ready and restart the controller...

I always have a back up Audio 2 soundcard in the bag. Thats about it.
    I have confidence in the controller

you've done 30 gigs with the s4 all ready :O im eager for your review

Yeah, 3 gigs a week for a about 2 months. Not sure exactly how many.

My review wouldnt be taken seriously though. Im biased i suppose, or rather it would seem biased.

Im not disappointed with S4 at all though. Its genuinely the controller ive always wanted.
    Ive said many times that the absence of a Booth Output is a huge mistake but thats all i can really criticise.

sorry OT.

Tech Guru

If you want something else to play around on and keep as a back-up I'd look for a used Itch controller like the 300. Itch is making progress and has The Ableton Bridge due out early 2011. So you could benefit from knowing and being able to choose from two systems.

However, learning two systems is a pain in the ass. I would always recommend having an extra sound card. You could DJ from your laptop if you had to at all cost, but you would need a sound card. I would then invest in an X1. It's something you can use along side your S4 or use as a stand alone with the correct TSI if it all went to shit.

I would also think about having to carry two systems. My back for a while was Dell Netbook with OS X on it, and a Maya 44. Never had to use it.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

Is this serious? Back up controller? I would understand back up cd's, back up iPod , even back up computer and software, but controller?. I never ever think about it I suppose I am in another planet or league (it is like back up pioneers or technics tables)?. never crashed serato and traktor since 1.2.4 never fail so please someone explain me the concept about back up controller, or if you dj on such harsh environment that could break or blow. In my opinion you do not need a back up controller it is just a waist of money and time because of the learning curve. Better if you get another fx machine, another software, another headphones, etc.

Tech Wizard

Yeah totally serious, I've recently had a two thousand pound laptop fail on me recently and had something pioneer have a funny five minutes, very embarassing when people look at you like you've messed up:eek:

I want to move away from CDs and should add I work in a mobile environmnet where it's all down to me, no CDJs in situ etc.

Definately not for the sake of it

Tech Guru

Since it's a "back-up"

I really wounld for up to much flow man. Back-up soundcard, back-up cheap controller enough to do the minimum and salvage a night. I would consider an X1 as the controller to use it along side my S4 and would use that. Many DJ's have a laptop soley for playing music. If your laptop crashed on you something was up with it. I'd look at ways of opitmizing your laptop or creating a partition for playing.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Audio2 and X1. Most simple and convenient back up plan. Plus you can have the X1 plugged in and working at the same time.

If the Kontroller crashes flip the Traktor software onto the back up soundcard and carry on with the X1 until the S4 resets.

Either way your gonna get a cut in sound as you have to reassign the soundcard.

I think an external sound source like CD or MP3 player is a much quicker rescue plan than having to muck about with more controllers etc but i hear what your saying about being mobile. If the case is that you cannot recover the from the fault you need a full setup backup.

A2 & X1 would be my choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast