[Dubstep Tune] - 'Dope Feens' - EYENSEE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow [Dubstep Tune] - 'Dope Feens' - EYENSEE

took my first stab at dubstep production. quite pleased with it - although some proper EQ'ing is in order.....or maybe just turn down the volume.. :P

anyways.... have a listen by streaming online - feedback would be nice toO.

pls n' thanx

link>> Dope Feens.
    Last edited by EYENSEE; 12-01-2008 at 01:14 PM.

what the fuck! this tune is so damn tight!!!! i love it! it almost smashed my speaker....keep on dubbing my friend!!!!!!!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by earl-panda View Post
    what the fuck! this tune is so damn tight!!!! i love it! it almost smashed my speaker....keep on dubbing my friend!!!!!!!
    haha! that's the first time I got a response like that..... it made me laugh out loud...

thanks earl!

well i actually had to turn the bass down a lot...was way to much bass for my little pioneer speakers. but thank u for this tune again! pushing flat top breaks was great too! i always wanted to tell u this but i forgot it. so now i did!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by earl-panda View Post
    well i actually had to turn the bass down a lot...was way to much bass for my little pioneer speakers. but thank u for this tune again! pushing flat top breaks was great too! i always wanted to tell u this but i forgot it. so now i did!
    you're welcome... and thanks again!

Tech Guru

Fuck man, that tune is tight. Wish my production skills were at that level. Seriously man. GIVE ME THAT TUNE. I will play it out and smash peoples faces. Seriously. I will give you some bling for it if you want. My mates will play it 2.

Fuck its sic. DAMN.

Keep at the dubstep man. Whoa.

This track with a bit of tweaking could be released on vinyl imo. I know a few people I could play it to if you want. Dubstep producers/labels in NZ. Weve got a decent DnB/Dubstep scene here. Thats only if you dont know anyone ;]

My only 1 crit is the helicopter noise. IMO its cool... but it could be tweaked and have more effects layered on it to make it more trippy, and perhaps have slightly less phase on it. And on the build up fade it out or put an effect on it to build up tension (perhaps increase the phase and put a fade on it).

What software are you using btw? Synths (for bass) /Sequencers etc?

Would love to collaborate... but I do most of my production in ableton (with circle synth). So I can use my edits to play with live.

We need more of this on DJTT. More production ftw. Shall post some of my tunes soon (as soon as they are decent enough...)

/end rant

thanks midian for the great feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    Fuck man, that tune is tight. Wish my production skills were at that level. Seriously man. GIVE ME THAT TUNE. I will play it out and smash peoples faces. Seriously. I will give you some bling for it if you want. My mates will play it 2.
    sure, I'll pass out the tune to whoever wants it... I'm going to try to fix the EQ and distortion before sending it out. glad ya liked it

lol @ smashing peoples faces HAHA... in my city, when you you hear a good track in general with a sick bassline, we make this disgusted look on our faces followed by a smile... its weird... but we call it 'bass-face'

This track with a bit of tweaking could be released on vinyl imo. I know a few people I could play it to if you want. Dubstep producers/labels in NZ. Weve got a decent DnB/Dubstep scene here. Thats only if you dont know anyone ;]
    yes, the track does need some heavy EQ'ing and I need to get rid of some of that distortion... the sound engineering stuff is such a big science, I sometimes dont even know where to start...

My only 1 crit is the helicopter noise. IMO its cool... but it could be tweaked and have more effects layered on it to make it more trippy, and perhaps have slightly less phase on it. And on the build up fade it out or put an effect on it to build up tension (perhaps increase the phase and put a fade on it)
    cool, what filter/effect would you suggest to make it more trippy?

What software are you using btw? Synths (for bass) /Sequencers etc?
    just recently got to using MASSIVE by native instruments... this is one of the coolest apps Ive ever played with... Soooo many sounds to mess around with and tweak. and they all sound BIG!

and ableton.

Tech Guru

Sic! Def keen to get a copy when youve got it a bit mroe sussed.

Do you run mac or pc (6 or 7?) ? Im on a mac running 6 (neeeed to get 7 Bad! Side chain compression FTW!) I need to get massive, it seems to b what all the peeps are using. You should def check out circle tho. Its basically the ableton of Synths. Really cool for live use, and has this natural feeling. But perhaps a bit harder to get to the roaring dubstep/DnB sounds out of. Really nice for spacey ambient synths. Its prob cos I'm not good enough with it tho ;]\

If your running mac I have some reeally nice EQ's/Compressors/Effects I could link you to. I love the EQ I use.

I'm not 100 on what effects to use for the helicopter, perhaps put some reverb on it and some twisted flanger to make it more spacey. Then when it builds up use a autofilter and fade it out slighly and increase the LFO on the autofilter + perhaps increase the reverb level/ammount and flanger wet/dry up to the drop. This will help increase the tension which = bigger drop.. Perhaps do a high pass on the kicks as well to the build up.

If you want you could send me all the stems of the track (bass loops/drum sections/breakdowns/synths/pads/effects) etc and I could have a go at doing an edit of it (eqs/compression etc).. perhaps a tad of a remix ;] . Or if setup properly could send ableton files to one another.
    Last edited by midian; 12-01-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Tech Guru

Oh another thing. Dubstep has a tendency to have A LOT of reverb on everything. I rekon you should put some on the Fear & Loathing sample. Perhaps also drop the volume slightly.... tho adding the reverb might be enough.

Put more reverb on the claps (and perhaps more of a tail on them, eithe rthrough the verb or by extending the release) and perhaps sharpen them a bit (with your eq), or by adding another clap to it with a sharper tone. You could also put some more verb on the high hats, but not 2 much or u will lose them.

Edit: Another idea would be to duplicate the clap the second one with a stack of verb on it and put this 50-100ms after the clap and then compress them together slightly. Which will give you a richer and extended clap which has the spacey dubstep feeling. Basically my vive with dubstep is make everything sound like its underwater ;]

Finally your bass also seems a bit flat/muddy (after listening to it several times on diff speakers). You could perhaps add in some boost at around 500-1000Hz. Basically the bass just needs some Eqing to get it so sound richer.. Might also be a case of adding some saturation to it. (the Ableton saturator is decent enough for this). Or compressing it slightly... tho this can destroy the range of it so I prob would leave that til the end.
    Last edited by midian; 12-01-2008 at 06:03 PM.

right on...those are great tips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast