Torq with M-Audio controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Torq with M-Audio controller

Hey
    Just wondering if anyone rates Torq software by M-Audio at all? I have been using it and it seems pretty useful with an Xponent M-Audio controller. It does what it says on the box if you get what I mean. Samples, loops, effects etc etc all there.

If anyone of you has compared it to Traktor or Serato I'd be very interested to know what your opinion.

Personally I find it almost as good but maybe a bit the interface is a bit lacking.

yeah i used to use it. I used torq as a dvs for a year. It pissed me off after a while. Its shortfalls ended up outweighing its good points. Things like the shit soudcard it will only work with, sticker drift and lack of support updates bugfixes.
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

Tech Wizard

Did you use the Xponent? I guess from what you said about soundcards you probably didn't. What software you using now?
    I may hook up Ableton or Serato to the Xponent to see how it works it (gang bang flip 'n' reverse it)

I've used Torq w/turntables nearly every weekend for years. It's a strong, solid program. I've never had a problem with it. Right now you can get it pretty cheap and it's worth it for the audio interface alone.

At the time it was introduced, Torq was half the price and double the features of other DVS...(with rewire, VST effects, snapshots, tempo anchors, etc). I think that other apps have caught up a bit in the past year with Serato adding FX and the Ableton Bridge specifically.

BTW- I wouldn't say the interface is crap by a long shot. The soundcard works fine for me (2ms latency) and serves as a dongle the same way the SL1/SL3 and Audio 4/8 work for Serato and Traktor Scratch Pro.

It even does some things that other DJ audio interfaces still can't...like mix the audio input with computer's output on the same channel. This enables you to use Torq as a vst effects rack with a hardware wet/dry control right on the audio interface. I've used Torq on stage with live bands for triggering vocal effects and backing tracks. You can also use the audio interface with Pro Tools (M-Powered).

Of course Torq isn't perfect: The browser is less flexible than others and you can't scratch with midi controllers (except the Xponent) but there's things about every DJ app I don't like. I'm still searching for the perfect DJ app...wish me luck.

For instance...I hate the method for saving and erasing of loops/cue points in Traktor. It works great if you're pre-planning some wonderful 3-5 min controllerist button-mashing routine ( sorry Ean ) but for rocking a 5 hour party and doing stuff on the fly...it plain sucks. Also when using a midi controller and scratching in my experience Traktor doesn't work as well other programs. The rotary acceleration and jog sensitivity never feel quite right, plus the crossfader cut isn't as sharp as it could be.

A friend and I just did a head-to-head with Virtual DJ, Traktor Pro and a Numark Mixtrack. VDJ instantly felt noticeably better and I had been tweaking Traktor's scratch settings the previous night the best I could. Then again you can buy TWO mixtracks for the asking price of Virtual DJ...oh well.
    Last edited by coolout; 11-02-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    Make beats. Write rhymes. Spin music. Throw parties. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

CHECK ME OUT:
    www.djcoolout.com
    www.cooloutmusic.com

Tech Wizard

I guess you have tested more apps than me. M-Audio is generally quite reliable so they should be able to make a decent product. Funny that Torq is not used by more DJs than it currently is. Do most people just go with what everyone else does? When I DJ with Torq, very few people know what it actually is.

I've turned mass amounts of DJs onto Torq and the Xponent. I've used it the past 2 years, but felt it was lacking something, so I moved onto Ableton. Still use the Xponent with Ableton though, it works pretty good!
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

Tech Wizard

You learn something cool every day on here. Guess maybe it's just here where I live (Paris, France) where people don't use Torq so much.

I'm gonna have a pop with Ableton too, see how it goes.

Cheers

I have a buddy of mine who had been using it for a few years now, and he's finally making the move over to Traktor.

It's decent for what it does. And it does it at a fairly inexpensive startup price. But when you get down to it, Traktor and Serato products now have more going for them than Torq. Torq really just hasn't moved with the times at all, and that's the big issue.

My buddy just bought the SCS3 system, and it doesn't work with Torq. So there's a big thing for him.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    I'm gonna have a pop with Ableton too, see how it goes.
    If you're interested, I've been working on a DJing template for the two, see here:
    http://www.torq-dj.com/forum/viewtop...=17723&start=0
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

I've been using my Xponent along w/ Torq for 10 months now and i think for what its worth its a pretty damn good program (i use traktor pro and ableton live 8 suite too but when i mix i prefer torq over both of them)

since torq and the xponent go hand in hand you can do some really crazy awesome shit if you master it. there are minor bugs here and there but v1.5 gets the job done solid, and doesnt feel watered down compared to other programs.

while on subject, anyone know how to link torq and ableton together on the same computer? id fucking kill to make those work hand in hand

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast