Considering Vinyl (DVS), is this a good deal? Help me out!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Considering Vinyl (DVS), is this a good deal? Help me out!

Hey everyone.

As long as i've been dj'ing i've been using controllers and also CDJ's once in a while. I always liked DVS setups but never considered getting one myself.

However things changed a little bit today.

I walked into a pawn shop and saw two shiny turntable sitting side by side. One was a Numark TT200 and the other was a Numark TTX. Both had needles on and both were in mint condition. After bargaining with the salesman for a few minutes he told me he'd let them both go for $200 (total).

I asked two DJ friends of mine who have mentored me into DJing what they thought of the deal, since i'm not too knowledgeable as to what is good quality and not in turntables. One of em told me that it was a good deal, and the other one told me that, in 2010, if i wasn't already spinning vinyl, i shouldn't invest money in it unless i was a hardcore scratcher (which i'm not) because the industry had moved on from vinyl.

Now, i don't really know why i would want to spin vinyl, except that i'd get to use beautiful orange or green (or whatever color) traktor records

I'd use the TT's in conjuction with my SCS.3 system (with the 3d's for controlling effects and cue points, and the 3m as a mixer) but i'm not sure how good of a match using turntables with a small touch mixer is.

I'd like you guys' opinions on this whole ordeal! What do you guys think about the Numark TT200's and TTX ? how relevent is it for me to add them to my setup? How should i feel about using two turntables that are not exactly the same? What do you think about using vinyl turntables with a Stantom SCS.3m mixer?

Waiting for your input!

thanks
    -chris-
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X
    http://www.iamdjx.com

Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Denon MC6000, Numark TT200, Midi Fighter

i was also maybe considering getting them to sell them right away, if it's such a good deal. How much could i get for them?
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X

Tech Guru

I wouldn't say they'd be easy to re-sell, at all.

As for incorporating it into your setup, it's purely your decision. I know alot of people who have bought DVS after using controllers just for the "credibility" aspect and they get little to no use out of them.
    Other people absolutely swear by DVS.

In my opinion there is alot more things to factor in with DVS, so it's up to you.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post
    I wouldn't say they'd be easy to re-sell, at all.

As for incorporating it into your setup, it's purely your decision. I know alot of people who have bought DVS after using controllers just for the "credibility" aspect and they get little to no use out of them.
    Other people absolutely swear by DVS.

In my opinion there is alot more things to factor in with DVS, so it's up to you.
    I'm going to have to second this as well, the whole "credibility" thing. I can honestly say that I had thought about 1200s for that reason. Truth is, music is music. If you got the space, the real pure desire for TTs and such.. go for it. Otherwise invest that money into something you'll really use.

Have you spun vinyl ?
    If so, do you enjoy it ?
    Do you have a box of records stashed somewhere that you like to come back to every now and then ?
    If you can check all three boxes, then go and have fun with your new decks
    Otherwise, spend the money on more tunes and/or other kit.

edit :
    How should i feel about using two turntables that are not exactly the same?
    As long as the pitch ranges are the same (I think it's adjustable on some of the Numarks) and there isn't a vast difference in torque between the two, you should be okay.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 11-03-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Well even if your not planning on spinning regular vinyl the deal for both tables is pretty good and those are solid turntables. The ttx more so than the tt200 but decent nonetheless. And like you said you'd still be using it as a dvs. There are more complex things you can do with technology thede days but dvs still has a great natural feel and has pretty precise control. I vote do it!
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Guru

If there's other stuff you could think of buying for that $200 then i say do that instead..

you have an audio4 at least?
    still need timecodes and what not..

just thinkin cuz for $200 you could get.. depending on what your uses are:
    novation launchpad ~$150
    Kontrol x1 ~$200
    midifighter ~$180
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

thanks for all of the advice guys! i'll keep thinking about it... i cant make up my mind! Just to make sure, apart from the turbtables, the audio 4 dj, and the timecode vinyls, i dont need anything else to run the DVS, right? (considering i'm using the mixer from the controller)
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X

Tech Mentor

You already have some kind of midi controller or something? You could just get one TT for scratching. You'd need something with a good x-fader for that though. Don't worry about them not matching, I love playing with a TT on the right and CDJ on the left
    If you have no interest in scratching, I'd say don't even bother. MIDI controllers are better than TT because they don't run out of timecode, they're smaller and lighter, and don't require any special setup or input jacks.

Tech Wizard

You would need to purchase Traktor Scratch Duo/Pro which is $180/$300.
    You really are my Ecstasy, my real life fantasy.
    I’ll never be the same, I'll tell you for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast