Question regarding Cue Points and Controllerism.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question regarding Cue Points and Controllerism.

Hello friends.

I am rather fresh when it comes to the Traktor scene, so forgive me if this has been a) beaten to death or b) is rather an obvious question.

I have a VCI 100 along with Traktor and have come quite enthralled in Eans videos; especially the controllerism ones.

However, when I view his videos, I notice how he already has his cue points mapped out to the certain areas he wishes to mash and juggle. Is this a commonplace practice to set your cues prior to a mix or do you usually do this on the fly by just having a general understanding where the verse, chorus, breakdown, etc is?

Hopefully this isn't too muddled of a question.

G R A P H I X S P E C I A L I S T
    PM FOR ANY GRAPHICAL NEED

I set all mine in my tracks before hand, I put relavent ones (drop, start of build, good mix points) in all of mine. And if i'm using them in a project or routine, i place the differently named mp3 in a sub folder for my projects (different cues for same song i haven't found a better way of organizing) and place all my cues as such and then the original for just mixing isn't messed up in Traktor's library. But sometimes, someone has a flashdrive or something with a banger that I like, so while I'm cueing it up, I'll skim through and find some mix points/clips and then place cues... So it dependson what you like to do...
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

To work out a controllerism routine ala Ean, you would have to have them in place already. Also for regular mixing it's great to have markers with good mix in/out points all ready to go. Less to think about later on.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I also mark the vocals in a track.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I also mark the vocals in a track.
    thats a good idea, have not thought about that. i think i can spare a cuepoint for this. number one pet peeve is to have vocals overlap. sounds terrible. hate when it happens on accident.

Thanks for all the pointers guys. I have started cue'ing my songs now, just to have good places to go back and fourth in for effect.

Would anyone like to share some tips on where the best places are to set cues for?

The vocal area was a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by DJMutagen View Post
    I set all mine in my tracks before hand, I put relavent ones (drop, start of build, good mix points) in all of mine. And if i'm using them in a project or routine, i place the differently named mp3 in a sub folder for my projects (different cues for same song i haven't found a better way of organizing) and place all my cues as such and then the original for just mixing isn't messed up in Traktor's library.
    So you would have the same tracks renamed and in a different folder, so that you could have the "normal" version with the usual cue-points you also mentioned and a second one with predefined loops or so? Sounds like a pretty nice idea, actually. I think, I might try that
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Yeah that is a brilliant idea really. That is what I have been doing recently seems to be working so far just takes patience and practice.

I have 4,300+ songs. How would I cue all these? All electronic. Sans ~20.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by maxonemillionone View Post
    I have 4,300+ songs. How would I cue all these? All electronic. Sans ~20.
    well surely your not going to use all those songs in a set.... play a set with your most favorite songs and then go to the "played" folder and go over them and just keep doing this... itll mean the songs you actually play get cued.... i have around 40,000 songs id be lucky if 500 of them have cue points.... if i need to play a song as a "one shot" or request i just cue the song up on headphones add cue points where needed and then drop the song in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast