buying for the first time dj gear
    Tech Student

Default buying for the first time dj gear

what up guys, i just wanted to know if you could help me with this tough decision, im just starting in this dj world and i really do not know what to buy, ive checked out a lot of sets such as the mixdeck , the Vestax VCI-100 and i found one that was pretty amazing for such a low price , the American Audio VMS4, but that still has some flaws with the fader, can you help me suggesting what should i buy, i need something that can be used from begginners to more advanced djs, but nothing that will cost me like 1,000 dlls! thank you

The Native Instruments Kontrol S4 is pretty hot right now, just ordered one myself - You get a full piece of Traktor software in the package and the controller itself has an amazing soundcard.

Check it out.

The S4 is prolly out of your price range atm though. . .

For the price and first timers, I would go the Numark Mixtrack Pro. . .It comes with a soundcard, and it's priced much less than a VCI-100. . .although that would be the next one up on my own list. the step down would be the Mixtrack. . .minus the soundcard, the jogs are hella responsive, although in the long run, I'd go with a more robust system.

VCI-100 is a heck of a lot more durable than the Mixtrack Pro, but it doesn't come with a sound card. Roughly 1/4 the price of the S4, but with the mappings and updates from djtt makes it a definite "must have" if your using TSP.

Then there's Serato ITCH. The VCI-300 is the same thing as the VCI-100, but made specifically for ITCH. But at about the same price as the S4, you lose some of the abilities that the S4 is capable of. . .but offset with free updates, it's pretty damn stable. . .Then you got your low end versions (Typhoon/Spin) that will let you do the basics. . spin and some effects.

What it really comes down to is your personal preference. I usually would say stick with turntables, but the "digital age" is changing that imho (I'm trying to build an all digital set-up. . .not going well >=/ ). . .

whatever you choose, make sure you're going to be happy with it in the long run.

The Numark Total Control is good for starting out as well. You can find them on eBay for around $100. Add the Audio 2 sound card for another $100 and your pretty much good to go (Besides the speakers that is). I started off without a control and just used the keyboard, I got the TC about a month ago and it's made life much simpler.

Tech Student

man the s4 so far has been the best piece of equipment ive seen , looks reaally robust and promising but aint got money ! ahahahah thank you anyway

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by DjWindzOne View Post
    The S4 is prolly out of your price range atm though. . .

For the price and first timers, I would go the Numark Mixtrack Pro. . .It comes with a soundcard, and it's priced much less than a VCI-100. . .although that would be the next one up on my own list. the step down would be the Mixtrack. . .minus the soundcard, the jogs are hella responsive, although in the long run, I'd go with a more robust system.

VCI-100 is a heck of a lot more durable than the Mixtrack Pro, but it doesn't come with a sound card. Roughly 1/4 the price of the S4, but with the mappings and updates from djtt makes it a definite "must have" if your using TSP.

Then there's Serato ITCH. The VCI-300 is the same thing as the VCI-100, but made specifically for ITCH. But at about the same price as the S4, you lose some of the abilities that the S4 is capable of. . .but offset with free updates, it's pretty damn stable. . .Then you got your low end versions (Typhoon/Spin) that will let you do the basics. . spin and some effects.

What it really comes down to is your personal preference. I usually would say stick with turntables, but the "digital age" is changing that imho (I'm trying to build an all digital set-up. . .not going well >=/ ). . .

whatever you choose, make sure you're going to be happy with it in the long run.

and the mixdeck ??? and why is it important a sound card?

Get a x1, a audio 2 dj, and a cheap mixer. That's about $300 for the controllers and whatever you decide to spend on the mixer. Use the Traktor LE with the X1 or Audio 2 DJ. If you are really short on cash I would love to mail you my old Maya44 if you pay me shipping.

The Xone:22 would be my recommendation for a mixer, but it may be out of your range at $300... After that I would say a numark or stanton (Numark m1 is $80), check craigslist though.

If you got a Numark M1, and the other goodies that would be a pretty full setup for about $400 with shipping and all.

The beauty of this setup is that it's infinitely expandable and you shouldn't have to replace any pieces unless you get a cheap sound card.

Edit: Another option instead of a X1 is an Oxygen 25 with Ean's mapping or two Midifighters.

Edit Edit: Novation Nocturn and M-Audio X-Sessions Pro would also be a good mixer alternatives.
    Last edited by tyfurious; 11-04-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM