mixing drum and bass advice please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mixing drum and bass advice please

How do you guys have the cross fader curve set up for mixing drum and bass? (i'm using Traktor and a VCI-100)

I've really got into DnB recently but i'm used to mixing prog house. I don't think i've used the cross fader since my first mix (in about 1997!)

I'm really sucking atm so any other advice would be cool

thanks in advance

Amadan

Tech Wizard

When I did mix dnb the fader was usually never used either, but if I did use it I'd only keep it on the really sharp curve so I can do quick cuts.

Also, listen for the snare, its basically the genre's metronome.

i keep the curve sharp.
    mix intros and breakdowns and cut on the drop.
    make sure you know howlong the breakdown of song A is and the intro of song B is, thatway you can time the drops to happen at the same time (utilize both of their build ups) and then cut A out on the drop

you dont always need to cut, a fade before the drop works better sometimes too
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

thanks for the help guys

PS remember to EQ for the the Drums & the BASS.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

depends.

if you mix intros/ breakdowns the EQ isnt a problem, usually

but if you mix the middle parts and stuff then ya, EQ a lot
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    depends.

if you mix intros/ breakdowns the EQ isnt a problem, usually

but if you mix the middle parts and stuff then ya, EQ a lot
    You are absolutely correct. Glad you posted as I was just being cheeky and wasn't giving "real" mixing advice.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

I tend to keep my crossfader at a moderate curve, I use the volume faders more than the crossfader and do a lot of EQing to blend the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    PS remember to EQ for the the Drums & the BASS.
    Getting two basslines to work together is a dangerous business... all too easily turns into mud, but when it works it's awesome.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

chase an status- streetlife

twords the end of the song i loop 8 beats (at 87 bpm) as the intro to the next song is coming in, then i slowly lower mid and high

that bassline is great

I agree with all the comments about EQing here. Bass does tend to get muddy if you dont pretty much kill it outright. I tend to dampen the highs of the incoming track a bit too.

Also, use loops on those breakdowns. They can save your ass on a long blend or buildup to the next drop when your too busy eqing, etc. I tend to store it in a hotcue so i know exactly where it is.

The freeze delay effect can be used to fade out of a song pretty nicely too, especially if you catch it on some vocals.

As for the crossfader . . . . never use it.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast