Funny S4 story
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny S4 story

Default Funny S4 story

I went to my local DJ shop today (Moog Audio Montreal) to buy a timecode record when all of a sudden i saw a shiny new S4 all plugged up and just waiting for me to try it. I asked the clerk for a pair of headphones and started mixing on the beast.

After a few minutes i notice an old-ish guy behind me, looking at what i'm doing. I keep minding my own business and after a few more seconds the guy asks me ''Do you understand this machine?" So i tell him "Yeah, if you've ever used traktor the S4 is super easy to use" He then proceeds to telling me that he's been spinning vinyl for 30 years, and he just dropped 1K on an S4 and he doesnt understand shit to it. That's not the funniest part though. The funniest part was when he saw my Timecode vinyl i had just bought and was staring at it with an inquisitive look. I explained to him what exactly timecode was (basically, that i could put any song that was on my computer, onto the vinyl). The look on his face was fucken priceless. For all i know he might swap out his S4 for a DVS rig!
    Last edited by tauket2; 11-06-2010 at 03:17 PM.
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X
    http://www.iamdjx.com

Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Denon MC6000, Numark TT200, Midi Fighter

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

NI has certainly succeeded in bringing in the vinyl and Serato DJ's with the S4. You should have given him your number and offered him some classes. Keep preaching the message and bringing in the converts.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Good for the old guy not being scared!!!!
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

i recently converted my cousin in chicago from cdjs to traktor pro!
    now he cant stop telling me how much he loves the audio2 dj and apc40 set up i hooked him up with!

Similar story...

The other week i was in Sapphires in London trying out their CDJ900s and 2000s with a DJM2000 (fuckin sweet but the size of a car), and a guy came up to me asking which CDJs he thought I should buy. I should explain that I've always been a digital DJ, starting on VDJ and swiftly moving onto Traktor Pro, so my experience of CDJs is very minimal!

I gave him the best advice I could and asked him what he normally used, he was a vinyl man through and through having been DJing for 20 years. I was amazed to discover that he'd never even heard of DJ software, so showed him a few features of Traktor on Sapphires' demo PC. He was basically horrified, and said it was cheating.

Huh, no pleasing some people...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

There's something i need to get off my chest...

The controller i own is a Stanton SCS.3. for those who don't know it, it is an entirely touch sensitive interface. I've played on some Vestax and Numark controllers and i found that i never liked the feeling of any jog wheel i've ever tried (Apart from the NS7, but thats in another ball park). When i tried the S4 today, i liked the machine but i totally hated the jog wheels. to me it just feels cheap and like i toy. the tension on controller jog wheels generally sucks and what i doubly hated on the S4 was the fact that you need to physically push down (until it clicks) on the jogwheel to enable vinyl mode.

To me, the SCS.3 is what comes closest, in terms of feel, to vinyl. And there arent even any moving parts!

there, i'm done.
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tauket2 View Post
    There's something i need to get off my chest...

The controller i own is a Stanton SCS.3. for those who don't know it, it is an entirely touch sensitive interface. I've played on some Vestax and Numark controllers and i found that i never liked the feeling of any jog wheel i've ever tried (Apart from the NS7, but thats in another ball park). When i tried the S4 today, i liked the machine but i totally hated the jog wheels. to me it just feels cheap and like i toy. the tension on controller jog wheels generally sucks and what i doubly hated on the S4 was the fact that you need to physically push down (until it clicks) on the jogwheel to enable vinyl mode.

To me, the SCS.3 is what comes closest, in terms of feel, to vinyl. And there arent even any moving parts!

there, i'm done.
    Glad you got that off your chest.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

you know youre a dj when....

theses stories are actually finny to you

this is great
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    you know youre a dj when....

theses stories are actually finny to you

this is great
    I dont know if you guys understand the complete hilarity of it all...

The guy's been spinning for DECADES and probably hauling around hundreds of pounds of records, and he finds out from a guy a third of his age that he can do the exact same thing, but with only 2 records and a laptop to carry instead. Furthermore, he finds this out after dropping $1000 on a machine, probably in an attempt to ''keep up'' with progress, and realizing he doesnt understand a thing about it! Had he known beforehand, i'm sure he would have much prefered a DVS rig, so he wouldnt have to change his habits too much. THAT is funny shit

priceless
    Last edited by tauket2; 11-06-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X

Age concern will have the lot of you up in court.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast