Is VCI-300 popular or a bomb?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Is VCI-300 popular or a bomb?

I was wondering if you think VCI-300's are selling well and becoming popular or is it not the best selling unit & people prefer the VCI-100 or other controllers? The unit seems solid and nice and has a good sound, but not perfect and there are no effects in Itch (yet??)

What do you think or know?

Well I had been looking to buy a VCI-300 for a couple of weeks and all the local (Australia) retailers sold out of their fist few shipments of stock almost immediately. I have heard similar stories elsewhere. Luckily I managed to retry calling a retailer yesterday and they just got a new shipment in, so I grabbed one.

I intend on giving Itch a go, but my heart (and experience) lies with Traktor, so I'd say in the coming months I will be investing in a copy of Traktor Pro and a Korg NanoPad or Novation Nocturn as a dedicated effects controller.

Tech Mentor

One of the downsides with itch is that you can only (atleast i think so) use two decks, and lack of effects. Effects will probably be run on an external unit or some clever setup on the VCI-300 itself. But that means i have to get an extra unit besides the VCI-300!!"##one. Well yeah but you had to get an extra sound card for the vci-100 now didnt you?

HOWEVER i don't see these 2 things as a big problem, since they will probably add some more stuff to Itch later on. Itch is very new and just go back and look at Traktor 1.0 or whatever the first release was and compare it to the latest version.

Im really not a Vestax/itch/vci-300 fanboi i have just seen to many posts that compare such a new product (itch/300/insert-just-released-hardware/software) witch something that is more or less a industry standard.

It really comes down to how you want to use your hardware, and for the love of god think before you buy

Quote Originally Posted by emp View Post
    think before you buy
    Step it up 1

Try before you buy
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Krilikz View Post
    Step it up 1

Try before you buy
    Yeah that is important to probably most important.

Tech Guru

I was just on the phone with a rep at a popular music online store called Thoman .de and he said they cannot even keep the new 300's in stock, and they are now out selling the VCI-100. They are back ordered.
    They are nice units and Itch is not bad..best thing is the layered visual waveforms.
    Sound is very good too. Itch is new, but sure it will be very solid in next months when V2.0 emerges and Ableton work together with Serato.

i hear you about the layered waveforms, i wish traktor would have something like that. deckadance has both layered waveforms and colored waveforms but they are in two separate areas but it is better then nothing.

Well the UK has now a huge supply problem for both the 300 and the 100. Not because of popularity really, but the main distributor in the UK has gone down or something.
    I initialy ordered a 300, because i liked its blackness, and its nice big jogs. Then the store rang me to tell me they would be some time in ever getting some.
    So i thought about the pros and cons, and the added flexiblity of the 100 just made me think, did i only want the 300 because it was newer/more pricey.
    I decided to get a 100 and a AK1 in the end. A day later the shop i ordered that from told me they have no 100's and they wont have until maybe end of jan!
    So i went on the hunt this morning, ringing loads of stores. I eventualy found one...and its on its way to me!
    Fingers crossed its pleases me as much as i thought the 300 would.

We will just have to wait and see if ITCH gets effects etc, but seen as they go on so much about controler software intergration, and there are no effects buttons or blank buttons on the 300, i dont see effects hapening that quick.
    Obviously people will work around it, Rout through ableton etc, but that really isnt an offical solution to the issue.

Meh, who knows. Its early days for the 300 yet! But it does seem to have some serious work to do if its gonna leave as big a mark as the 100 has!

Tech Guru

Hey Chickenfish,
    I do not think you will be disappointed with the VCi-300. I really like mine. It is a solid machine. I really like the long mixer faders and no indent on the pitch. Also the platters are larger. Maybe less buttons than its' cousin, but also more free room for your hands. The built in audio is an ease too and sounds quite powerful. Serato is a cool company and they are working with many dj's to make Itch rock. It needs to mature quickly, but think it will soon. I do not think it will ever have the fx like Traktor does, but think it is still very stable and easy to use. I still am interested in get a VCI -100 someday. Meanwhile, Ean is hopoefully making a dope TSI for the 300, that will give its' users a choice of which program they want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by emp View Post
    Effects will probably be run on an external unit or some clever setup on the VCI-300 itself. But that means i have to get an extra unit besides the VCI-300!!"##one. Well yeah but you had to get an extra sound card for the vci-100 now didnt you?
    This was my thinking as well. The 100 *requires* an external soundcard, but the 300 *benefits from* an extra device for controlling effects. Either way, I would end up with a 2nd device, but with the 300 I can hold off for the moment, play around with Itch and upgrade my set-up later when I have the cash. Also (as claudek pointed out), the 300 has the benefits of longer faders than the 100, larger platters, more room to move, etc, but most of all in my opinion it has the higher resolution midi signals. That was a *major* deciding factor for me, because the low resolution of the pitch controls on my BCD3000 is one of the main things that frustrates me and why I'm looking to upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast