Newbie needs some help

Default Newbie needs some help

Hi everyone, hoping I can get some help from here.

At present I work at a local youth centre, we currently have a dj booth with some ageing equipment in, that's getting very costly to keep running.

So we are currently looking for options to update, one of the young people that comes to the youth centre mentioned equipment that is basically like having a set of decks and mixer but is all run through a computer using mp3's.

So any recommendations on what to get, that is fairly robust and able to use for people just starting out.

Thanks

Peter

Can you tell us exactly what you have at the moment and what your budget is likely to be? This entire forum is dedicated to "having a set of decks and mixer but is all run through a computer using mp3's" so I'm sure we can think of something, just need to know your requirements in a bit more detail!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

At present, there using some very old Vestax decks and a no name 2 channel mixer as the mixer they had died.

Budget wise, I'd guess around £500, for software and hardware, we've already got a pc that I'm hoping can run it.

Thanks

Peter

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

please post the specs so we can tell you if it will be able to do so

ok.

when it comes to software, Traktor Pro (the software most people on this forum use) is currently half price from all major outlets since there's a big update in the pipeline. What that means for you is that you can get a seriously solid piece of software for very little money, sweet!

You should also consider whether or not you want to keep using the vinyl decks, if so then look into the 'Scratch' versions of Traktor which come bundled with high quality sound cards and control vinyls (for manipulating and mp3 with a record).

In terms of hardware, some kind of midi controller (possibly with a built in sound card if you don't want to buy one separately) is a good route to go down since it gives you all the controls you need in a small package. There are quite a few on the market, I'd check this roundup

Have a look through them then come back with your questions!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Everything he said^ One plus side to going with Traktor is the unparalleled community support you'll get both here and at the Native instruments forum. There's other brands of software out there, but the community of nice people that are willing to help you out can't be compared.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

again jojo... I'm starting to think you're stalking me!

na jokes I love it really