Need help deciding on gear..?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Need help deciding on gear..?

There's not store around to go get some hands on gear. And there is always the fear that after NAMM 2011 there's gonna be the perfect mixer released. As far as the new S4 controller, I am totally not into that. Dont like it at all. I've been using Ableton for making music with bands since Live 3. A few years ago I bought Traktor Scratch a couple of 1200's, and a Numark mixer that ended up not working well. Wanted to see if I'd liked DJing as much as I thought I would. Now I'm totally hooked.

For the past 7-8 months I had been trying to give Ms Pinky a chance using my APC40 as a mixer between my decks. I recently switched back to TSP.

I sort of like my APC40 as a mixer but ergonomically I hate it. I find myself to be somewhat of a HipHop influenced DJ that plays a lot of Electro/Shoegaze/Dubby/80's Darkwave kind of thing.

So I'm totally confused about what I want as far as a Mixer/Controller. I have been wanting something somewhat battle style. Like a Vestax PMC-06 sitting inbetween 2 XONE 1D's, inbetween my turntables.

However after using my APC40 as a mixer it has opened me up to using 4 decks. So the XONE 4D is looking pretty sweet, and I think I would have A LOT of fun on one. They just seem a little too big?

I kind of got interested in the new Vestax PMC-80 ProIV. But after reading reviews, it sounds like the sound quality is less than the Rane or Allen Heath gear.

This brings me to my final issue. I love using Ableton. And I am very curious about Serato and the Bridge. Just the post fader delay FX alone make me want to switch. Maybe I am wrong here, but it seems you can no longer route Traktor into ableton with an aggregate device using soundflower and naming it Audio 8 DJ? I mean dubby style mixing is my shit, post fader is what I love to do. Not to mention, the Hanz Pertov script running a drum sequencer in the mix as opposed to 4 decks.

So I am asking for help here, or ideas?

1. PMC-06 with 2 XONE 1D's
    2. XONE 4D
    3. Rane TTM37 and move into Serato

Tech Mentor

I vote for some kontrol X1s and maybe an evo4 or a A&H 42

ttm57 ftw! you get a solid mixer and you have the abilty to use serato
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

+1 for the 2 x1's and xone42 it's portable ie just take your x1's lappy and soundcard to the club. you can also route audio through ableton and use your apc40 for clips and effects on deck 4, I'm guessing you have an audio8 so this way you can encompass both pieces of software and you won't have to choose between ableton and trakor

also forgot, if you get the 57 and you already have ableton, you will be about to use the bridge and the mixtape option + SL-Video
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the replies.

The evo4 actually looks pretty interesting. However it's hard to go against the opinions of many about how good the Rane Mixers are. For sound quality and as battle mixers. Like I said before I have really enjoy a HipHop style of mixing. It's something I would like to get better at, but I still want a lot of bells and whistles, for the more dubby side of mixing.

I think the x1's are a poor design. I already have a bunch of controller type junk. I am looking to upgrade from toy like stuff to something that is designed to get long lasting wear and tear, and provide a lot of possibilities, with top notch sound quality. I wont get anything out of an x1 that my APC40 cant provide.

The XONE42 is probably a great mixer. But the appeal of the 4D are you get the mixer and the 1D style faders/buttons/knobs on either side. I REALLY like the design of the XONE 1D's. It's almost perfect, and there are a shit ton of controls in a small area, it's ergonomically superior in my opinion.

I guess it really comes down to an XONE 4D or a TTM37 and diving into what the bridge offers.

Still just narrowing it down to that seems like I still have a tough decision to make.

The Xone 4D has the best quality soundcard out there and endless possibilities with what you can do with it.
    You can run it with Traktor, Ableton Live, or both at the same time.

Best of all you don't need another soundcard to lug around, just plug and play since it's Traktor certified.

The Midi shift option allows for you to have up to 16 channels running on it!

I'm actually putting my 4D up for sale because I need the money.
    PM me and we can work out a deal.

Tech Mentor

Does the 4D have post fader FX?

Good News!

Mixer:
    • 4 multi-input stereo channels: RIAA preamps for turntables on 3 inputs, (channel 4 is Line/Line)
    • Soundcard output routing switches for each channel (1-2, 3-4, 5-6 & 7-8)
    • 3-band total kill EQ: 6dB to off
    • 2 FX sends: pre/post selection (internal on FX2)
    • 2 stereo returns
    • Headphone monitor with mix/cue control: 3.5mm and Ό” sockets
    • 2 analogue VCF filters low-pass, band-pass, high-pass (can be combined for more filter types), resonance frequency, and filter ‘on’ switch
    • Filter assignable LFO with depth control and brand-new editable fader step-filter function.
    • Completely re-designed and functionally improved BPM detection circuit.
    • Mic input: On XLR connector; gain control and 2-band EQ control available: routable straight to soundcard.
    • Power supply: High performance internal switch-mode supply
    • RIAA: for THREE turntables (four via internal jumper link)
    • Dual Rail VCA Cross Fader

There must be a store somewhere within 3 hour drive radius...

Surely its worth the drive?

Id say you should defo check out the rane mixer imo, its right up your street
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast