Anyone got an iPhone 4?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone got an iPhone 4?

Hey guys, I'm looking into upgrading my shitty Xperia X10 to either the Samsung Galaxy S or preferably the iPhone 4. I'm gonna be getting a Mac soon so having an iPhone seems like a good idea.

My question is what exactly does "jailbroken" mean? I've seen on Ebay that I can get a new jailbroken iPhone 4 for a great price, but I'm not sure about all of that "italk" With a jailbroken iPhone 4 will I still be able to update the OS, and firmware when apple releases new updates? Will I still be able to keep all my apps if I update the OS or will it freeze or lock?? I'm not sure about all of this iPhone tech stuff, so if someone can clear this up for me I'll be really happy.

Thanks.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin V View Post
    Hey guys, I'm looking into upgrading my shitty Xperia X10 to either the Samsung Galaxy S or preferably the iPhone 4. I'm gonna be getting a Mac soon so having an iPhone seems like a good idea.

My question is what exactly does "jailbroken" mean? I've seen on Ebay that I can get a new jailbroken iPhone 4 for a great price, but I'm not sure about all of that "italk" With a jailbroken iPhone 4 will I still be able to update the OS, and firmware when apple releases new updates? Will I still be able to keep all my apps if I update the OS or will it freeze or lock?? I'm not sure about all of this iPhone tech stuff, so if someone can clear this up for me I'll be really happy.

Thanks.
    Hey Dustin,

Jailbroken simply means that the device has been hacked so you are able to access things you typically would be restricted to access. iOS devices in general are considered to be "locked-down". They are not open to installing apps that were not approved by the (Apple) app store. This can be viewed both good and bad. On one side you will have a more stable device and less problems, but you might feel limited if you like to modify things. Jailbreaking is simply breaking the phone out of that locked configuration and is actually very easy to do.

If you Jailbreak your iOS device (Apple frowns on it has tried to make it illegal but failed so far), you will have to find the jailbreak for that appropriate version of the software you are running. You can at anytime upgrade your device to a newer iOS version but it will no longer be jailbroken.

Thanks bud, I think I'm understanding it now, so if its broken its not a big deal, the phone will still work fine. Even if its jailbroken I can still update the iOS? I really dont wanna get the phone and then a few months later I update it and it locks or something..
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You'll typically see jailbroken and unlocked. Jailbroken is as explained as above. Unlocked means that it's been taken a step farther and your able to run the phone on Tmobile or at least it's Tmobile in the US, not sure about SA or Brazil. Getting rid of either is as easy as restoring to default through iTunes.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    You'll typically see jailbroken and unlocked. Jailbroken is as explained as above. Unlocked means that it's been taken a step farther and your able to run the phone on Tmobile or at least it's Tmobile in the US, not sure about SA or Brazil. Getting rid of either is as easy as restoring to default through iTunes.
    Thanks, I can get the phone at home but its so overpriced. I dont want to get a contract as I travel alot, so getting a jailbroken one from Ebay is the better choice. I think as long as I keep it jailbroken and dont update through iTunes I'll be fine right?

Tech Mentor

dont jailbreak

if theres a reason as to why you need to then do it.

i dont as a lot of OS fixes come out for the iphone and i see no use in doing it

iphone 4, macbook, traktor is the best combo
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

Having a jailbroken iPhone 4 isn't worth it.
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

Nice, haven't seen any iPhone fanboys on this thread.

Android. Nuff said.

Tech Wizard

iphones are nice because, in general, you don't have to fuck with it much to get it to do things.

android is nice because of all of the customization options you can have, but you kinda need to fuck with things to get it right.

It's a tradeoff. I own, and have owned, an iphone since release. I spend, literal, hours on the thing every day (and an ipad, but different usage model for me). But I work at a company that does android development, and have seen some amazingly cool stuff.

Upshot :

iphone : less customization aspects, don't have to fuck with it.
    android : awesome customization options, CAN have to fuck with it.

A fairly good example is battery life in association with background tasks.

In the end, use what works for YOU. Don't believe the hype, but try it out and see if it's the right tool for whatever job you need done. (That applies to damn near everything in life, but that's a discussion for another day. and/or more beer)

--tau

I jailbroke my 3G and 3GS. I really only did it b/c I need them unlocked for when I travel abroad. I've not jailbroken my iPhone 4 yet but probably will. There are some semi-useful things, but the main one on the 3GS was backgrounding, which isn't quite as necessary now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast