S4 software with Audio 8 // S4 controller as a standalone midi mixer?
    Tech Wizard

Default S4 software with Audio 8 // S4 controller as a standalone midi mixer?

Hey guys, been going through the forums and I'm getting swamped in information, got a couple of questions

1: Can the S4 software be used with an Audio 8 + Control vinyl without the controller

2: Can the S4 Hardware be used with TSP

I'm not convinced I can let go of playing out without control vinyl or that I would be able to take the S4 into every club environment so it would be great if I could just take my Audio8, laptop and control vinyl as usual and use the S4 software!

Cheers

BOUNDARY:
    https://soundcloud.com/boundary

"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphizer View Post
    Hey guys, been going through the forums and I'm getting swamped in information, got a couple of questions

1: Can the S4 software be used with an Audio 8 + Control vinyl without the controller

I'm not convinced I can let go of playing out without control vinyl or that I would be able to take the S4 into every club environment so it would be great if I could just take my Audio8, laptop and control vinyl as usual and use the S4 software!

Cheers
    Question 1: Not yet, but it's been mentioned MANY times and there's lots of people interested in this.

Question 2:To the best of my knowledge you can use the S4 as a standard midi controller but somebody with the actual device would have to confirm that.
    Last edited by SirReal; 11-13-2010 at 01:25 AM.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

You can use the software in external mixer mode (hack explained here http://traktorbible.com/en/kontrol_s...xing_mode.aspx) but there is no timecode control.

You can use the S4 controller with TSP. You will need to create your own mapping in MIDI mode for that. In S4 controller MIDI mode the display section on both sides of the controller are not supported.
    www.traktorbible.com/freaks
    The largest (and original) Traktor midi maps portal on the internet.

Tech Wizard

Hmmm are there any signs towards NI making the S4 software compatible with the Audio8 and control vinyl? I really can't see why this wouldn't be implemented from the get go.

It's really a clincher for me, I've actually got one on pre-order but I'm considering cancelling it tomorrow and buying a Behringer DDM 4000 instead (down a mixer atm) after talks of the sub-par sound quality and teething problems with the S4!!

But the S4 software looks great, especially the loops and samplers - tough decision! Any thoughts?

BOUNDARY:
    https://soundcloud.com/boundary

"We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams"

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

When NI introduce the Timecode plugin you wont need the Audio 8 you will be able to use the S4 soundcard which is a hybrid of the Audio 8 and Audio 4.

As for the mentioned sound quality. It is EXACTLY the same as the Audio 8. Perfect.
    People complaining about the sound are, in my humble opinion talking shite !!!

Ive got the S4 in my studio alongside a Korg Zero4 and Maschine via Audio 8 and the S4 is as good as anything in fact its louder than the Zero4.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I really think a lot of the people complaining about the sound quality aren't adjusting the software volume and the main volume correctly. They're getting clipping because the software volume is up to loud. When they adjust the hardware volume it turns it down, but doesn't fix the clipping in the software. In a "these go to 11" world they refuse to listen when someone tells them they need to put it -8.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Totally agree. There are a lot of people that dont realise that the software and the hardware are separate on some levels and as such need to be adjusted to work with each other.

I dont understand how people are getting it. Yes its a midi controller but its being used as a mixer and needs to be used like a conventional mixer in some respects.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Totally agree.
    Sometimes I think we were separated at birth. Except I grew up to be the tall good looking one, and you're the short more talented one.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Sometimes I think we were separated at birth. Except I grew up to be the tall good looking one, and you're the short more talented one.
    Oh Snap!
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors