Criticism of the Digital Dj
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Criticism of the Digital Dj

With the idea of the Digital Dj being fairly new, many of us have recieved criticism for our unique way of spinning.
    Many of us have dealt with people who seem to attack the new and in some ways unconventional styles of mixing.

My question is this.

What do you think digital djs can do, both as a community and individually, to break the wall of conservatism in the Dj world? Dj tech tools has done a great job in supporting new ideas and styles in the digital age. But how can we take it a step further?

-Alsius

I spin a lot of Funk and just started getting very interested with electronic music and when I moved into dorm this year, I could not take my Technics and vinyls with me (No room at all for them), so I had to make the change to the Digital side of DJing. I've lost rep back home because of it, but do I really care? Fuck no! I'm out for my personal exploration as well as getting people to enjoy themselves and dance. To me, it does not matter what medium you use to play music with, because music is just sound.

I still love to go back home and spin some rare funk records on my decks with friends, but lets face it, for the constantly traveling DJ (And youth in general these days), its hard to lung around your TT's.

When people say it takes no skill to DJ with computer, I usually just tell them that it take a whole different skill set then with TT's or CD. Sure its easier to beatmatch, but usually there is a huge learning curb for the programs. I've been playing with Traktor Pro for the last two months and still have not learned everything about it.

Bottoms line is: Use what you are comfortable with using, don't give a shit about what other DJ will say, they just can't accept that technologies are moving forward and that new ways to do things have appeared.
    ~MacBook 2.4 GHz | Pacemaker 666 | Traktor Pro | Ableton Live 7~
    ~Indie Dance | Nu Disco | Electro House | Old Skool Funk~

To take this a step futher we the "digital djs" need to break away from other whack laptop dj's.
    We have a bad rep about "our" systems crashing/audio drop outs & newbies thinking they are super stars just cuz they have serato or traktor. Make sure you come with the proper gear ie: rca cables, power strip, rca adapters, back cd's/ipod. To sum it up is to be professional with other dj's/promoters/club owner even tho they hate on you for using a pc/mac to mix your music. Also try to build a community of digital dj's in your area, who cares what system they use. It would kick ass to see a digital dj club/event with no cd or vinyl being played. I know that in the past I wanted to get a DJ TECH TOOLS L.A. chapter going, and believe me Im still working on it, Im just trying to balance my work/dj/personal life at the moment.
    Last edited by JesC; 12-04-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo, i need to get some sleep!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

If you hold a digital-only event, you by definition set yourself apart from vinyl DJs. It seems more commiserative than useful; the crowd doesn't care much; it's vinyl DJs who care. And I don't care if I have their respect. I want the crowd.

So, to avoid criticism for being a digital DJ, it seems pretty easy:

1. Don't suck
    2. Don't stare at your laptop all night
    3. Don't suck
    4. Stop being defensive
    5. Stop justifying your choice of medium
    6. Don't suck

FWIW, I do feel that an absolutely legitimate criticism of digital DJing is that it has provided access to people who aren't necessarily as vested as someone who spent a ton of money and time on TTs, vinyl, and craft. Most people already have a computer and mp3s, so it's not as big a commitment to jump in. Unfortunately that makes it easier for people who are, um, inexperienced, let's call it, to B.S. their way into gigs, suck out loud in front of people, and become yet another poster child for the suckyness of digital DJing.

Let me stress here that I am NOT saying digital DJing sucks. I'm saying that easier access attracts people who are not as committed to their craft and not experienced enough to know that they really shouldn't be trying to do this publicly yet. Anyone can suck in any medium; it's proven all the time.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Tech Mentor

I had a talk with someone about this a while back. I agree with Steve. Don't suck. It's going to be a while before this is the norm so in the mean time, just do your thing and ignore the criticism.

I'm going to be taking a beating when I start gigging. Not trying to hijack this thread but I just wanted to say I have my first gig in two months time . I'll be the DJ at a bboy competition. You can just imagine how much flack I'll be getting without bringing any turntables to a hip hop event. Let's hope I won't suck *crosses fingers*

NICE! I love going to BBoy comps. Don't worry about what they say, as long as you can thrown down some crazy tracks, its all good.

Are the hosts and judges going to give you a list of what to play? That usually happens with Funk Style, but when they give you a free hand on what to play it gets really fun. Watching the expressions of the dancers when to start spinning some really really rare song that no one has probably ever heard is just the best. They usually stare at each other pretending to wait until the other starts until they get a hang on the song.
    ~MacBook 2.4 GHz | Pacemaker 666 | Traktor Pro | Ableton Live 7~
    ~Indie Dance | Nu Disco | Electro House | Old Skool Funk~

Tech Mentor

The organizer didn't tell me. Probably I'll be selecting what to play. I thinking of playing the standards during the competition part since they rely off the knowledge of the songs to lay out the set. It's during the cipher part that I'll be mixing I think.

That's what I have in mind. Mind you, I still got a tonne of listening to do. I've come from a classical background so like anything outside classical and jazz is so new to me. P-Phunk I'm going to pm you. Living in Toronto right now?

I think acceptance will grow from sites like DJTT growing larger and larger. As more people are educated as to exactly what it is we are doing and what it is about spinning digitally thats better than mediums of the past, then acceptance will grow along with it.

Basicly i think it comes down to education, the more educated people are about the decisions that we have made the more people there will be supporting digital. So i feel the best way for the digital dj to be accepted is to support and/or contribute to sites like DJTT which are dedicated to pushing the art into areas no one has gone before. The trickle down effect of information passing from person to person is what will give the digital dj acceptance in the broader community.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 12-05-2008 at 12:36 AM.

Tech Wizard

i just don't care about it anymore. When i switched to CDJ's everybody was nagging about it, but now it's all cool and fine because the big-name DJ's started using them too. It's all about image and coolness it seems, i don't mind, i just rock the dancefloor with what i'm comfortable with, i've been using everything: tapedecks, vinyl, CD's, laptops, timecode signal, midicontrollers, ableton Live, Reason, Hardware sequencers, whatever...

Hey Steve, you forgot:

7.) Thou shall not suck!

But to join the discussion, acceptance is coming, though it will probably take the same time for people to change mindstate as it did when DJs started moving from vinyl to CD.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast