Caution to mixtrack buyers/owners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Caution to mixtrack buyers/owners

The mixtrack was a MISTAKE.

First one that I ordered from Musician's Friend seemed fine at first but within a WEEK I noticed the crossfader was being glitchy. Then after a few more weeks and testing it turns out if you move the crossfader up or down it moves it to the left or right in a gltichy manner. Also it was pretty lame how you couldn't flick the crossfader from one side to the other, pretty cheap.

It was unusable as a DJ controller at that point because the crossfader was going haywire all over the place.

I exchanged it for ANOTHER mixtrack except when this one came, no crossfader problem, but the right jog wheel was like 75% responsive and had something stuck underneath the platter causing resistance(has anyone else experienced this?). You couldn't spin it 360 without your finger being stopped by something and slowed down.

All-in-all the responsiveness is just not there and the build quality is pretty poor, i mean at 150 it must have cost half the price to build the thing. The size of the wheels are nice but that doesn't mean anything if there's cheap plastic parts underneath and it doesn't respond well enough.

I'm ordering a Vestax Typhoon because of the metal jog wheels, and less plastic/better plastic.I"ll post back to compare the two but I haven't had a Numark Mixtrack work 100% yet, and for some reason I see a LOT of good reviews out there. Buyers beware.
    Last edited by mycathasrabies; 11-14-2010 at 06:01 AM.

Anyone who currently has a Vestax Typhoon, could you report on overall build quality? Can you slide the crossfader easily?

On the mixtrack the buttons click very loudly, pretty annoying..

In the end it won't matter because I'll get vinlys but i need something for a while.

I've had a Mixtrack for a few months and never had any of these issues you claim. Sounds like you just got a bad batch through MF. I have zero complaints about the performance of the thing, it's been a beast in the clubs and raves so far. Clicky buttons also shouldn't really be an issue unless you play at a very low volume, because I never hear them unless the music is off. My only complaint has nothing to do with the performance but rather the non-removable USB cable. But thats an easy mod/fix. As for you question about the Vestax, in terms of the xfader, it is better but not by much. If you are looking for that classic Vestax scratch mixer fader... they do not use it on the typhoon. Also my issue with the typhoon is how small and uncomfortable it is to use. I'm not a fan of EQ faders, I prefer knobs... which leads to another issue with the typhoon, which is lack of enough knobs to keep a good amount of control at all times without a ton of shift modifiers. The list goes on. I say, get a good Mixtrack and pair it with a Midi Fighter for some faster action buttons and you are set.

I honestly doubt I got a bad batch of Numark Mixtracks...I mean it's Numark...it ain't a technik or CDJ.
    side note: I have no idea why they did this but my first mixtrack was colored differently. The platter was gray and not lined with silver, honestly the fact that they changed it from gray to silver is just marketing and the mixtrack PRO is just the same cheap thing except colored with silver.

I already have a shitton of midi controllers. I'm not looking for everything ALL in one, because usually that sucks anyways.

In the end I'm getting techniks and a Pioneer mixer.

Honestly I can't see why ANYONE is recommending this product.....it feels SO cheap I just can't see it lasting. But then again I ain't a newb to music equipment and I've played with much better equipment. This is coming from someone who knows how to DJ, not someone looking to start up for the first time. So to me the mixtrack is a toy/joke.
    I don't expect the Typhoon to be worlds better but it's gotta last more then a month...
    Last edited by mycathasrabies; 11-14-2010 at 01:26 PM.

It's amazing to me how google searching is finding no problems like this...the only other mixtrack problems I see are USB related(mixtrack not even being recognized)

I'm not sure if Numark ****** up a lot of their mixtracks(that would explain the color change?) or if the actual product itself sucks.
    Just the fact that it is SO cheap and pretty much 100% plastic would tell me that numark didn't just mess up a few mixtracks here and there

Tech Guru

dude you just said instead of a 150.00 mixtrack your gonna get technics and a pioneer mixer. Those two aren't even in the same conversation??

It's a cheap midi contoller - im sure some had problems while others worked fine. I say if you gonna keep looking for cheap controllers just buy one that's a tad more and you won't have to buy another one. With the release of the S4, i'm sure a ton of VCI's will be up for sale. Another one that I think looks pretty damn sweet is the DJ Tech Reload and also the new Reloop.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Wizard

I've had one for a month or so, and I've certainly put it through it's paces. I don't really have any of those issues, besides the right jog wheel has a very slight resistance in one part, but it's not enough to seriously hinder my performance, and I'm not going to start being a hip-hop turntablist or enter the DMC with it. I mean, I could exchange it out if It bothered me, but so far it's just been a quirk to me.

I think I could recommend it for several reasons. One, if you don't know if you can dj, if you'll like it, or if you'll get bored of it, $150 isn't a bad price point, compared to $300 or more for other controllers (you don't need a sound card if you're just messing around). Two, if you want to bring it to a small gig where you don't need to have a full dvs setup (a few dozen people at a house party) you can easily, and with minimal setup time (no external power required and they usually have a speaker set up DJ iPod was going through anyway, so that's not an issue) be pumpin out some music. Plus, there's no worry about anybody spilling their Keystone on your Technics. Three, you try it, like it and you're not getting sick of DJing, and you decide to upgrade to a DVS setup, nice mixer, tables, the works. What's wrong with having a $150 backup in your bag? At least if your needle breaks or you lose a cable, you have a backup that can control the same software the same way you would otherwise, albeit with less "cred". It's why I see me using mine until it falls apart, at which point I'd probably get another one, just as a backup or for hauling around to places like my parents' house during the holidays or whatever.

I feel bad that you had such an awful experience, but I don't think it's worth shunning entirely, and especially since it's received such a positive response so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mycathasrabies View Post
    I honestly doubt I got a bad batch of Numark Mixtracks...I mean it's Numark...it ain't a technik or CDJ.
    side note: I have no idea why they did this but my first mixtrack was colored differently. The platter was gray and not lined with silver, honestly the fact that they changed it from gray to silver is just marketing and the mixtrack PRO is just the same cheap thing except colored with silver.

I already have a shitton of midi controllers. I'm not looking for everything ALL in one, because usually that sucks anyways.

In the end I'm getting techniks and a Pioneer mixer.

Honestly I can't see why ANYONE is recommending this product.....it feels SO cheap I just can't see it lasting. But then again I ain't a newb to music equipment and I've played with much better equipment. This is coming from someone who knows how to DJ, not someone looking to start up for the first time. So to me the mixtrack is a toy/joke.
    I don't expect the Typhoon to be worlds better but it's gotta last more then a month...
    are you just rambling honestly what do expect from a 150$ controller? i have had mine for about 4 months and never had an issue. its a great controller for the price and i love that i can toss it in a back pack with my sound card and laptop and go dj a house party with out having to worry about my NS7s getting a drink spilled on them or a drunk idiot running into them. the typhoon may have the all metal build but its much more limited then the mixtrack imo. and you have gone from saying you bought the mixtrack to returning to buying a typhoon to now getting a vinyl set up that will run 5 time over what a mixtrack is.. so you statement about not being a noob to music equipment is looking a bit false. BTW using the word ain't make you look ignorant.

I've got questions for you though. . .

!) Did you try using the other USB ports?
    2) Are you using an external soundcard?
    3) How old is your laptop?
    4) What are your specs on your laptop?
    5) What are you running at the same time as Tracktor?

In all seriousness, you sure do trash something before you find out the finer points of your own machine. . .

I've had my Mixtrack for 6 months, and my only issues are the faders and the USB cable.. . .But I didn't try to scratch with it, only because of the faders. . . .The usb cord, as jeffolivarri mentioned, is an easy mod.

The Typhoon is no better than the Vestax Spin. . .I've messed around with both.

"build quality is pretty poor"
    - And yet, you bought one. . .I'm sorry, but it seemed as though as you're mind was set that this was going to be your killer midi controller.

Quote Originally Posted by mycathasrabies View Post
    The mixtrack was a MISTAKE.

First one that I ordered from Musician's Friend seemed fine at first but within a WEEK I noticed the crossfader was being glitchy. Then after a few more weeks and testing it turns out if you move the crossfader up or down it moves it to the left or right in a gltichy manner. Also it was pretty lame how you couldn't flick the crossfader from one side to the other, pretty cheap.

It was unusable as a DJ controller at that point because the crossfader was going haywire all over the place.

I exchanged it for ANOTHER mixtrack except when this one came, no crossfader problem, but the right jog wheel was like 75% responsive and had something stuck underneath the platter causing resistance(has anyone else experienced this?). You couldn't spin it 360 without your finger being stopped by something and slowed down.

All-in-all the responsiveness is just not there and the build quality is pretty poor, i mean at 150 it must have cost half the price to build the thing. The size of the wheels are nice but that doesn't mean anything if there's cheap plastic parts underneath and it doesn't respond well enough.

I'm ordering a Vestax Typhoon because of the metal jog wheels, and less plastic/better plastic.I"ll post back to compare the two but I haven't had a Numark Mixtrack work 100% yet, and for some reason I see a LOT of good reviews out there. Buyers beware.
    you dont need a cross fader to dj. and i didnt like the typhoon that much cause it doesnt work with amd.

on that poinnt how much u want for ur old mix trak
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast