Please help! Need help with the basics.

Default Please help! Need help with the basics.

Hello all. I am very new to allll of this. I have a passion for music, quite a good ear and a nack for selecting. For some time now I have been putting together compilation cd's for friends (soulful house, electronic, broken beat, nu-jazz, soul). I am interested in stepping up my game and trying my hand at mixing and possibly dj'ing gig's one day.

I have ZERO DJ experience and I have just purchased the Vci-100. So you may already see my problem I definitely need more of a walk-through manual than what comes with the Vci-100 or Traktor for that matter. I am completely lost. My set up so far is Macbook Pro, vci-100, traktor 3 le (that came with the vci) and Bose computer speakers. I know I still need to get a sound card which I will get very soon. For now I just wanted to get a feel for the equipment and learn the basics of mixing. Everything seems to be hooked up/installed correctly....but now I need to make it do what I want it to do. lol.

Any suggestions on where to begin? I have tried to search the internet for 1) Virtual Dj'ing for beginners and 2) specifically the Vci-100 for complete beginners with no luck. And does anyone know if there is a more detailed manual for the vci-100 out there anywhere?

Any help is appreciated Thx in advance.

ps. I do not really have the resources to practice the traditional way...with vinyl or cd's. If at all possible...I would like to begin here with what iv got.

Download and read this - http://www.traktorbible.com/pages/midiguide.en.html

Along with that, the traktor manual, the vci-100 manual and going though the back catalogue of djtt articles you should be well on your way to getting your head around this stuff.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolemonique View Post
    Hello all. I am very new to allll of this. I have a passion for music, quite a good ear and a nack for selecting. For some time now I have been putting together compilation cd's for friends (soulful house, electronic, broken beat, nu-jazz, soul). I am interested in stepping up my game and trying my hand at mixing and possibly dj'ing gig's one day.

I have ZERO DJ experience and I have just purchased the Vci-100. So you may already see my problem I definitely need more of a walk-through manual than what comes with the Vci-100 or Traktor for that matter. I am completely lost. My set up so far is Macbook Pro, vci-100, traktor 3 le (that came with the vci) and Bose computer speakers. I know I still need to get a sound card which I will get very soon. For now I just wanted to get a feel for the equipment and learn the basics of mixing. Everything seems to be hooked up/installed correctly....but now I need to make it do what I want it to do. lol.

Any suggestions on where to begin? I have tried to search the internet for 1) Virtual Dj'ing for beginners and 2) specifically the Vci-100 for complete beginners with no luck. And does anyone know if there is a more detailed manual for the vci-100 out there anywhere?

Any help is appreciated Thx in advance.

ps. I do not really have the resources to practice the traditional way...with vinyl or cd's. If at all possible...I would like to begin here with what iv got.
    Hey welcome to DJTT, i would say the best manual that you have is here just ask any specific question in the forum and we would be gladly to help since i would said 80% of the forum own a vci........everything on the regular vci is labeled as you expect also you may try the traktor manual unfortunally There are no downloadable manuals for none of NI products, they come with the software and traktor le doesnt come with a manual so you have to buy the full version sorry to gave you the bad news

Wow...thank you for the quick response guys!!! BentoSan...I have just downloaded the traktor bible and will begin with that

Im sure I will be back with more questions

Thank you again for the support.

Hi Nicolemonique,

Welcome to the DJ Techtool forums!
    To start with a VCI-100 is really not that bad, actually, it might even be a better starting point than vinyl or CD.
    You'll end up spending less money and space, while you'll end up having the same amount of fun. Trust me on this one.

As for touching the basics, the links in Bento's reply work wonders.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolemonique View Post
    Wow...thank you for the quick response guys!!! BentoSan...I have just downloaded the traktor bible and will begin with that

Im sure I will be back with more questions

Thank you again for the support.
    No problem, welcome to the community - as said above, if you have any questions just ask and we will do our best to answer them.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Welcome to the forum, Nico. Traktor and the VCI kind of make a lot of this stuff really simple once you get your mind around the overall concepts.

Feel free to ask away :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall