Ipad Vs Other MIDI Devices

Default Ipad Vs Other MIDI Devices

Hey guys,

I am pretty confused right now. Scratch that. I'm extremely confused right now. I am getting into music production, and was looking at picking up the Maschine. I however remember that Ean had a little article thing he wrote a little while back that stated Ipad would be getting MIDI capabilities soon. Although I know that doing some of the things that the Maschine can do the Ipad will not be able to handle - I am just wondering what I should do. Cause I can use the Ipad as a "fake" midi fighter, and i'm sure i'll be able to find programs that will let me do some of the key things that Maschine can do.

What would you guys do / suggest? Please let me know if I am being unclear, because if I am that means i'm more confused then I thought I was - but I will still try to re-state it.

Thanks for your time,
    Coldfuzion

Tech Guru

An ipad is alot of money to spend for what it is, but you can do some amazing things with layouts, and it has apps for Ableton.

But you will get more from a maschine, for less than an ipad (Around the same for the basic ipad i guess).

If you will use an ipad for other things, then go for it, other than that i'd get the maschine. The ipad is a great idea for djing for it's portability, but not something i'd have in a studio.

Only reason I was really debating it is cause I figured if I pick up an Ipad I can use it for production (slightly) and then download apps and use it as a MIDI fighter as well. So it would have dual use, instead of just picking up a Maschine.

I have however had my mind set on the Maschine, I truly am in love with it. I was just weighing all viable options.

Thanks for your response .

Tech Guru

u can use maschine as a "MIDI Fighter" aswell i would go for maschine.. cause im about to buy it also
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Guru

I own an ipad (well my girlfriend does, but i bought it ) and use it with Katapult, it's quite good but i wouldn't feel comfortable gigging on it.

I much prefer having actual hardware controls under my fingers, having said that the ipad does give a good feeling of interaction, that's the magic of them really - i can spend 10 minutes just zooming in and out of a page with a "pinch" motion, never gets old, or maybe i'm just a child

might want to check out the playbook once it comes out.