2.1 speaker setups?
    Tech Wizard

Default 2.1 speaker setups?

Since my order for the Studiophile AV 20 was recently refunded (due to being out of stock), I've had a chance to rethink my options for my bedroom monitor speakers.

If possible, I'd really like to get a complete 2.1 setup that doesn't involve me shopping separately for a subwoofer. However, looking at all the major vendors' sites, it's apparent that they no longer offer such a product (M-Audio discontinued the LX4 earlier this year), which is truly a shame.

However, I'm still holding out in the hope that I will find something. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I don't know if under $500 is totally unreasonable for this type of product. Thanks.
    Last edited by EULA; 12-05-2008 at 07:01 AM.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Are you just making mixes or are you producing as well?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Are you just making mixes or are you producing as well?
    Just mixing! I had a thread with this same question about a month ago, and I thought I had found an old pair of speakers to use, but it turned out the only inputs they have are wire hooks. They also didn't include a subwoofer.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you're just mixing you don't really need a studio subwoofer. Hell, you don't really need studio monitors. Those wire hooks could just run into a tuner that you could probably get at any audio store (Tweeter, B&H, etc.) that you would then hook up to your sound card.

My point is that you are looking to spend a bit of money for something you don't really need. Standard cabinet speakers would work just fine for you. and they could save you money
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I'd say take a CD of a mix into Guitar Center or what ever retailer you frequent hell even some place like Best Buy and see which speaker set up sounds the best to you .

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Those wire hooks could just run into a tuner that you could probably get at any audio store (Tweeter, B&H, etc.) that you would then hook up to your sound card.
    Any idea where to start with this? Product categories or names?

A few of my friends have the Kam KPCS20 and I must say its an excellent setup and sounds great.

Best of all its only around $110.