Digital 'Laptop' DJ's cannot beatmatch manually... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yeah…you really don't. "
    What a post, thanks for that! You have made me want to go back to ableton and rethink the way I was mixing in ableton in the past.

Thanks again mate

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    happened to me long before using ableton was commonplace... those moments are cool, when you just point at the mixer and grin "this shit is live, baby!" but it feels way more rewarding when it happens while using traditional gear (like 2+ decks and a hardware loop sampler that you have to keep in check using your brain and hands). I can't tell you why, it just does...
    I understand what your saying. I feel the same when just using cdj's in a club. I feel more 'connected' with the music if that's the correct word to use. Something special about playing your own remix, custom edit live using cd's.

Tech Mentor

[QUOTE=ibarry;180853]Ok ok the title of the topic was a bit misleading my bad. Anyway, my point is, I was at a gig last weekend and some bozo made a comment saying I'm not really dj'ing since I was using a laptop.

some people will always love to tell you what you can't do .. look at the room full of happy bouncy people and they'll tell you what's important to them .. nod at the nice young man and carry on doing what you can't do ..

the only person worth the effort of proving anything too is yourself

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by kerr View Post
    the only person worth the effort of proving anything to is yourself
    so very true.

happened to me long before using ableton was commonplace... those moments are cool, when you just point at the mixer and grin "this shit is live, baby!" but it feels way more rewarding when it happens while using traditional gear (like 2+ decks and a hardware loop sampler that you have to keep in check using your brain and hands). I can't tell you why, it just does...
    Yeah. I've done it with CDJs and SSL as well. I didn't spend enough time with just vinyl before I got SSL to really do it with just that…and I never did manage to track down a Cycloops. I did, however, buy a good number of breakbeats and minimal tunes with no intention of ever playing them by themselves.

Still…it happens more often with Live and I guess I'm the only one so influenced by pics and recordings of Sasha and his Maven that it seems more interesting to me that way than with Vinyl. Maybe it's that my close friends and I understand turntable DJing well enough that we can tell what the tricks are (a lot of the time, and we are by no means experts to the level of a lot of people on here). But, I've had people watch me spin with Ableton who had no idea where things were happening…people who generally knew what they were doing. That's rewarding in a very different, very nerdy kind of way that appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ibarry View Post
    What a post, thanks for that! You have made me want to go back to ableton and rethink the way I was mixing in ableton in the past.

Thanks again mate
    No problem. Glad you enjoyed it. The more Sasha wanna-bes we have running around in place of the deadmau5 wanna-bes, the better Ableton DJing in general will get, imho.

(please note: I do not think Tom Cosm and all the other guys doing something closer to "live production" are deadmau5 wanna-bes.)

Quote Originally Posted by kerr View Post
    some people will always love to tell you what you can't do
    I smell a Simpsons quote. A good one.

Tech Mentor

so very true.
    So very true, everyone was bouncing, I was jumping about the booth like a loony. Was a good night. As long as people are digging it, who cares! Oh and did I mention the guy who was complaining said he was a Dj too. Hate that. I don't care if you Dj. Doesnt make a difference if you do or not.

//rant over lol

Tech Convert

idk why they hate on laptop djs, manually beat matching is not hard at all... just annoying. Its annoying have to monitor the next track w/ headphones then count the beats and look at your watch for a minute just to find the estimated bpm. Then you have mess around w/ the pitch slider and waste more time. Then you have to write the bpm on the record sleeve or cd.. thats kind of ghetto and outdated. Thats like keeping in contact w/ a pager when everyone is sexting w/ iphone 4's.

Your mix sounded nice btw. I saw that it took you like 2-3 minutes to set up each song... I guess others feel its rewarding to do all that, but they look like theyre always serious and like theyre concentrating hard frantically alternating between decks and nudging the platter or jog wheels to keep them synchronized.

sorry for jumping on the thread.. but just wanted to state my opinion since im a vinyl dj.
    Last edited by bryan350; 11-16-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bryan350 View Post
    Your mix sounded nice btw. I saw that it took you like 2-3 minutes to set up each song... I guess others feel its rewarding to do all that, but they look like theyre always serious and like theyre concentrating hard frantically alternating between decks and nudging the platter or jog wheels to keep them synchronized.

sorry for jumping on the thread.. but just wanted to state my opinion since im a vinyl dj.
    Thanks, yeah it does take a while to get the tracks synced on that thing. The tempo control is not accurate at all, much easier to get two tracks dialed in with tt's or cd's.

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by ibarry View Post
    did I mention the guy who was complaining said he was a Dj too. Hate that. I don't care if you Dj. Doesnt make a difference if you do or not.
    you get those every time. wannabe MCs, wannabe DJs... the latter usually keep on telling you stories about who they worked together with (translation: played a warm-up set for ) - as if that's gonna change the fact that it's you who are in the booth and they who are outside. something I never understood...

Tech Mentor

you get those every time. wannabe MCs, wannabe DJs... the latter usually keep on telling you stories about who they worked together with (translation: played a warm-up set for ) - as if that's gonna change the fact that it's you who are in the booth and they who are outside. something I never understood...
    No doubt someone will say that to me this weekend again. I get it at least once or twice a month. 'I'm a DJ, play this everyone will dance' or another pet peeve... 'I can't dance to this, put someone on I can dance to' and I just point to a full dance floor. Gr!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast