Digital 'Laptop' DJ's cannot beatmatch manually...
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Digital 'Laptop' DJ's cannot beatmatch manually...

Ok ok the title of the topic was a bit misleading my bad. Anyway, my point is, I was at a gig last weekend and some bozo made a comment saying I'm not really dj'ing since I was using a laptop. Anyway to prove to myself I can... I looked out this old bit of kit. It's not flash, it's not responsive, the CD's skip sometimes, no bpm detection, non accurate pitch control. Basically a brick would be a better dj deck. Anyways check out this 10 minute video, what do you guys think? I used a Audio 4 to record the audio from the mixer, no timecode was used (obviously)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3IaDFlXqo

you're not a real DJ because you let some cunt with no taste in electronics get to you.

What you do in that situation is kill the music, hand the guy your headphones and announce to the crowd that "this guy wants to prove that anyone can dj with a laptop!" After he stands there looking like an ass for about 45 seconds of silence tell him he owes you a drink and go back to rocking your party.

@ ibarry, nice work on that dinosaur!
    Last edited by jakeintox; 11-15-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

God people are tools. Laptop does not = SYNC.

Not a bad mix considering that horrible setup. That's the worst angle for that CDJ ever!

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    What you do in that situation is kill the music, hand the guy your headphones and announce to the crowd that "this guy wants to prove that anyone can dj with a laptop!" After he stands there looking like an ass for about 45 seconds of silence tell him he owes you a drink and go back to rocking your party.
    I'm gonna do that next time it happens to me.
    The enemy's gate is DOWN.

MacBook Pro | 2.16 Ghz C2D | 120 GB HDD | 3 GB RAM | 250 GB EX HDD
    Mac Pro | 2x2.88 Ghz Quad-Core | 320 GB HDD | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB EX HDD
    Ableton Suite | Akai APC 80 | Torq Xponent

Tech Mentor

mind me asking the tracklist for this? its quite good given the equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    God people are tools. Laptop does not = SYNC.
    So are anti-sync people.

Sorry, but I'd much prefer someone use sync than flam all over the place when they're already using Traktor.

AHH shit!

They still had something like this at the Campus radio station at the UNI near where I live.

Played there a few years ago....and had to use this type of thing.

The play button was fucked....you had to jab it 3 times....then pitch bend like a MUTHA!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post

@ ibarry, nice work on that dinosaur!
    Will do that next time if it happens again, hopefully it does and I can quickly record it
    Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    Not a bad mix considering that horrible setup. That's the worst angle for that CDJ ever!
    Thanks for that, I just recorded using my macbook camera late at night, didn't really want to set anything up. I would like to get into recording more videos though. Hopefully my camera work skills will improve

Quote Originally Posted by rami View Post
    mind me asking the tracklist for this? its quite good given the equipment
    Sure, i'll go check the cds.
    Diva and Jones - Ma Ma Se (David Jones Mix)
    Markus Binapfl & Erick Morillo ft. Fiora Cutler - Alive
    Spencer & Hill - I Spy (DJ Solovey Remix)

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    So are anti-sync people.

Sorry, but I'd much prefer someone use sync than flam all over the place when they're already using Traktor.
    Sync is only great if you spend the time to beatgrid your songs. Sometimes I don't have a song that has a spot on beatgrid so just play without sync. If i'm playing with my dj duo and were doing a mix with more than 3/4 tracks sync will probably be used.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    AHH shit!

They still had something like this at the Campus radio station at the UNI near where I live.

Played there a few years ago....and had to use this type of thing.

The play button was fucked....you had to jab it 3 times....then pitch bend like a MUTHA!
    Yeah same, when you press play it will be a beat or two off so you have to pitch bend it back in time. Hate hate hate hate it lol

lets see u dj with a set of TTs... Those ridiculously old CD controllers were crap, they had that +/- thing to nudge the tracks... total garbagr! I think anyone could dj with those things...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast