To Beatmatch or not... that is the question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default To Beatmatch or not... that is the question

I was hoping to find something in here on this, but unless i'm missing it i did not... so... Beatmatching and when to use and not to use...

Alright, I know that the ears would certainly detect if everything sounded the same in terms of tempo for a few hours at the club on mixtape, so my question to the more experienced Dj's "when" to beatmatch or sync.

I did my first mixtape (80's soul) over the weekend and although i dug what I heard I felt I got stuck in "beatmatching"... I know there are no "hard coded" rules to djaying, but i'm needing some guidance on this... and how to transition between various tempos... is this the time where you use hard crossfades on the "1"...

thanks in advance

All the time, whenever it will assist you in your set.

Beatmatch or trainwreck. Your choice.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Convert

I think its ok to not beatmatch all together as long as you do something else that is out of the box, if you dont beatmatch and simply play linear sets then I think its wrong your doing nothing, if on the other hand your not beatmatching but come proficient at using other tools to enhance the experience ( live production/remixing ) then its all good.

I am all for new technology as long as your using it to improve not to do the same with no effort.

Well it depends..

When I use my RMX I sync it cos beatmatching with this thing sucks, but when I do a gig or at a club with CDJ's or TT's I beatmatch always. I still enjoy beatmatching whenever I can, it sort of reminds me of the good old days, and keeps me involved with the music.

It you using a shitty controller and it doesnt beatmatch to well then sync it, if you playing on CDJ's or TT's then do it oldschool and beatmatch!
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Mentor

Try bring in tracks in non conventional places, don't mix songs start to finish, that's just boring. Quickly bring in a new track half way through a song musically. If done right and using the right tracks, it sounds great.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sm00sh View Post
    front page post discusses this a bit.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/11/1...ard/#more-8851
    thanks... I read that before coming here... I needed more than what it said

thanks all too... lol... I don't want to trainwreck...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ibarry View Post
    Try bring in tracks in non conventional places, don't mix songs start to finish, that's just boring. Quickly bring in a new track half way through a song musically. If done right and using the right tracks, it sounds great.
    thanks... I try this now...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ibarry View Post
    Definitely, i do this all the time; i particularly like to use the build up the drop of one track with the build up of another, then cut the first track when the second drops.
    If i think about it i rarely mix the intro of alot of music i play, i just cue and monitor it along side and wait for a good sounding phrase and drop it, it's good for keeping the energy up since i normally come in after the first breakdown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast