Traktor Scratch Pro internal CPU maxing for no reason :X
    Tech Guru

Default Traktor Scratch Pro internal CPU maxing for no reason :X

Hi peoples,
    I fairly new to this forum and to Traktor Pro. I started using Traktor Pro about 3 weeks ago using a Hercules MP3 E2 midi controller. Everything was going fine I was doing my thing checking out some new tracks I picked up. But then, just randomly Traktor Pro started PMS'n for no reason.

The internal CPU is maxing out and distorting my audio. Started doing some research, I did find some topics but none of the remedies helped. I figured perhaps something, somewhere was jacked up so I adjusted everything to run as low resource and it didn't help at all. Config settings, removed folders from the playlist, removed effects, restarted the program and my PC, and reinstalled.

My Dell XPS Gen 4 (3.8ghz hyperthreaded single core) isn't anything to brag about. But it can run Traktor Pro just fine as you can see in the picture above it only takes about 30%.

For what its worth, the only things I can recall changing before it started acting up was adding about 200 tracks to my library. If you guys have any suggestion I'm all ears.

Womp womp wohwohomp!

-Digi

Have you tried tweaking your PC for Djing? Make sure your wifi and antivirues is swtiched off and that your Pc is on max performance. Try doing this below, it helped me. Hercules also has a PDF that you can download that will help optimize your PC.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/1...djs/#more-1541
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Raise your latency and make sure you single core isn't analysing tracks at the same time as you're trying to play them.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Raise your latency and make sure you single core isn't analysing tracks at the same time as you're trying to play them.
    Adjusting the latency didn't affect anything performance wise and I'm certain its not analyzing from what I can see. If you look at the picture at the bottom its states "ready" not "analyzing". Is there anywhere else I can check to make sure its not? There aren't any tracks to be analyzed because I removed them from the tree. I also unplugged my console before restarting and reinstalling and haven't plugged it in since. So its not even in the picture atm. .

I'll definably try that "safe mode" and get back to you.

Appreciate the recommendations.
    -digi

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin V View Post
    Have you tried tweaking your PC for Djing? Make sure your wifi and antivirues is swtiched off and that your Pc is on max performance. Try doing this below, it helped me. Hercules also has a PDF that you can download that will help optimize your PC.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/1...djs/#more-1541
    I'm guessin your a laptop kinda guy? My PC doesn't have anything wifi. I do have wireless N internet and its not affecting anything Traktor wise.

My Antivirus (Nod32) isn't locking anything up. Everything Traktor is whitelisted. Adding, Its not locking up my CPU if you look in the picture above egui.exe is the antivirus program. Even though I did completely shut down Nod32 and it didn't change the CPU load within traktor.

I'm in school to become a PC consultant so I understand PC's. I see a program error, giving the symptoms and how it just randomly started happening. BUT! Anything that is wrong with a program should be fixed with a clean install. When I uninstalled I removed everything Traktor related besides my back up .tis. Documents, files & registry keys. Then installed as Admin and it was like cake (no errors).

This sucks, when my girl get home I'm going to install it on her Mac and see what it does. If it works there. . .then. I'll just steal her laptop .

Thanks for your effort, its appreciated.

-digi
    Last edited by deviantdigi; 11-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.

I'd recommend disabling your antivirus nevertheless.

And try running an app called the DPC latency checker to see if you are getting any DPC related dropouts. Dells are notorious for this.

Is there anything different about your system recently? (I started to get dropouts at one point because I'd made the cardinal sin of putting an SD card in the SD card slot).
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I'd recommend disabling your antivirus nevertheless.

And try running an app called the DPC latency checker to see if you are getting any DPC related dropouts. Dells are notorious for this.

Is there anything different about your system recently? (I started to get dropouts at one point because I'd made the cardinal sin of putting an SD card in the SD card slot).
    I was just stating it wouldn't interfere. But I did "disable" my antivirus and had the same results.

I ran the DPC latency checker while traktor pro was open. I don't know if that matters?

I'm not sure how to make out the results.

edit* I ran the test for about 5-10 mins. I didn't see any alarming low or high bars if that was what I was looking for. If low means bad than I'm @#$%!

As for my system,
    I haven't changed anything hardware wise. Its the same setup I had 3 weeks ago when traktor was working. Of course I charge my E cigarette & Ipod via usb, but I haven't had any problems.

One issue I did have a issue few days back with the new Nvidia v260.99 gfx driver for the 7900GTO gfx card. I went to upgrade, and the driver made some weird glitchy screens and it would cut my screen off and on. But then I just rolled back the driver and its been fine ever since. I don't think Traktor is very graphic intensive. I can run games like Killing Floor and Black Ops. Should be fine.

Thank you,
    Digi
    Last edited by deviantdigi; 11-18-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantdigi View Post
    I'm guessin your a laptop kinda guy? My PC doesn't have anything wifi. I do have wireless N internet and its not affecting anything Traktor wise.

My Antivirus (Nod32) isn't locking anything up. Everything Traktor is whitelisted. Adding, Its not locking up my CPU if you look in the picture above egui.exe is the antivirus program. Even though I did completely shut down Nod32 and it didn't change the CPU load within traktor.

I'm in school to become a PC consultant so I understand PC's. I see a program error, giving the symptoms and how it just randomly started happening. BUT! Anything that is wrong with a program should be fixed with a clean install. When I uninstalled I removed everything Traktor related besides my back up .tis. Documents, files & registry keys. Then installed as Admin and it was like cake (no errors).

This sucks, when my girl get home I'm going to install it on her Mac and see what it does. If it works there. . .then. I'll just steal her laptop .

Thanks for your effort, its appreciated.

-digi
    Lol, well I've been Djing wiht my Hp for 2 yrs already and I've done just about everything to optimize it for Djing. I've uninstalled virtually every program thats not necessary and tweaked it every way I can. You said that your antivirus didnt change anthing? Well I'd still recommend doing it just incase, and switching off you internet. I also downloaded a program called Game Booster, Its a great program that switches everything off thats not important, do it free's up the CPU, try it.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

If you've got any large red bars with the DPC latency checker then you've got problems. It'll also tell you 'some drivers are bad'. Sorry - I can't see the picture at work.

There are plenty of reported clashes with nVidia GFX cards too. Try disabling it completely. If this solves the problem then try and install another driver from laptopvideo2go, or disable any speedstepping with something like Rivatuner.

I'd also go into your device manager and make sure all your USB ports are set to never go to sleep.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin V View Post
    Lol, well I've been Djing wiht my Hp for 2 yrs already and I've done just about everything to optimize it for Djing. I've uninstalled virtually every program thats not necessary and tweaked it every way I can. You said that your antivirus didnt change anthing? Well I'd still recommend doing it just incase, and switching off you internet. I also downloaded a program called Game Booster, Its a great program that switches everything off thats not important, do it free's up the CPU, try it.
    I use tuneup utilities 2010. It has a "turbo mode" basically does the same thing as Game Booster. But it also changes the theme to basic and helps keep my PC clean. I'm lazy.

Oh btw I found a solution! FIXED!

I don't know if this is something that effects all PC's or what. But by retelling my steps maybe it'll help prevent this issue in the future.

I was installing Traktor, again, custom installing certain audio drivers hoping playing with the latency would give me different results. But when I restarted my PC after uninstalling my PC would not boot. Yikes! It wouldn't even go to the screen that has safe mode etc. Instead it would just blink a white hyphen in the top left corner. After many attempts to boot, I got fed up and made my PC bare. I unplugged everything that wasn't necessary (A wireless card for a driving wheel, a wireless N card, audio output, a S-video cable for a dual monitor setup, and a Ipod Nano Gen 4). Finally, and luckily, my PC booted up.

After doing some tinkering, I found the problem. There is a utility for PC called PS SIXAXIS. I use this so I can use a PS3 controller on my PC. I haven't used it in a long time. When its installed it creates a windows service called LibUsb32. Apparently this service has conflicts with other usb devices. So I went into windows services and manually disabled the Libusb32. Started up Traktor and POOF! low cpu usage. It was normal again! Ran perfectly. So I wanted to see if the Libusb32 was to blame. I started the service up again and restarted traktor. Come to find out Traktor was still running with no problems.

After a few failed attempts at re creating the problem. I finally found the combination that it take to make this, excuse my french, clusterfuck of a PC fail. What I found is rather strange.

With the service Libusb32 enabled, an Ipod Nano Gen 4 plugged into a usb port, and a s video cable connected to a TV enabled. It creates a PC crippling, melting pot of fail. If your lucky enough for your PC to boot, it makes Traktor Pro not so happy. The jacked up part is if you unplug the Ipod, all the problems go away on reboot.

Yeeeh, hopefully I am the only person that will ever have this problem,

Thanks for all your help,

-Digi
    Last edited by deviantdigi; 11-18-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Well done mate, now get back to playing music!