Juggling full time job with DJ
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Juggling full time job with DJ

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask you opinions about this. I know a lot of us probably have full time jobs other then being a DJ. I myself am a officer attending university while being part of the Canadian Military. It's hard for me to juggle my studies with playing music. I try to get a good amount of time on my VCI-100 right now when I'm not studying or doing work stuff.

How do you guys do it?

A bit off my topic lol:

On a side note, I've decided to start clearing room out in my barrack/dorm to set up my TT's and a second computer for producing, I'm really exited, but that means that I will have EVEN less room for all my other random crap lol! Me and some of my dorm mates have started recording funk and electro funk music to pass the weekends.

I've also pretty much secured myself the job of managing the base's mess. Its like a bar + nightclub merged into a military relax setting... But yea, they are building a brand new one for us (the military Officer Cadet students) and I can't wait to start throwing massive parties there. I'm hopping to get some pretty big DJ's in Montreal to come and spin at the grand opening night.
    ~MacBook 2.4 GHz | Pacemaker 666 | Traktor Pro | Ableton Live 7~
    ~Indie Dance | Nu Disco | Electro House | Old Skool Funk~

Quote Originally Posted by P-Phunk View Post
    How do you guys do it?
    I hardly sleep... This was yesterday for me:

8-12 am work
    12-1 met with club owner
    12-6 pm work
    6-7 pm travel to city
    7-8:30 pm contract signing with another club owner
    8-9 pm dinner
    9-10 drinking
    10:30-2 am Partying/Promoting at club in the city
    2-3 am drive home
    3-7 am sleep
    8 am work again

It's probably harder to study and keep a schedule like this cuz you have to concentrate... I have total A.D.D. cuz I sleep so little. No concentration abilities lately.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

when I had a day job I made sure to surround myself with people that had similar goals to mine so we could split up work loads . Now I DJ full time I'm part of an incredible crew and our latest release was called "The record of the moment " on turntable lab last week.

Well, I'm used to no sleep at all. My day looks something like this:

0530 wake up
    0630 Breakfast
    0700 - 0800 study
    0800 - 1700 school + lunch
    1700 - 2000 study + supper
    2000 - 2400 ready uniform / free time (DJ / recording / producing) / getting extra curricular stuff done.
    2400 - 0530 sleep

I also have to hit the gym 5 / 7 days a week + I have running team to attend twice a week. Physical exhaustion + Mental exhaustion = Constantly living corpse and unable to generate any good work with DJing. I'm tossing around the idea of just going to a civilian university next semester as it is getting really hard on me right now and my marks are really starting to suffer. Plus I'm not even studying in what I want (music / english)

Well, I'm used to no sleep at all. My day looks something like this:

0530 wake up
    0630 Breakfast
    0700 - 0800 study
    0800 - 1700 school + lunch
    1700 - 2000 study + supper
    2000 - 2400 ready uniform / free time (DJ / recording / producing) / getting extra curricular stuff done.
    2400 - 0530 sleep

I also have to hit the gym 5 / 7 days a week + I have running team to attend twice a week. Physical exhaustion + Mental exhaustion = Constantly living corpse and unable to generate any good work with DJing. I'm tossing around the idea of just going to a civilian university next semester as it is getting really hard on me right now and my marks are really starting to suffer. Plus I'm not even studying in what I want (music / english)
    Then go for it man ! If you really want it you will not fail .

Tech Mentor

you have to prioritize.
    what is the most important? Your day job pays the bills and your schooling is just as important since odds are you future rides on it. (even if you do not get a job in that field, the degree is important) until your DJing and producing can be the primary money source, it needs to take a second place to what does.

and of course, if you have a wife and kids, they need to be on top in priority. ive seen many families fall apart, couples divorce and such because one or both of them decided that their hobbies and jobs were more important then their spouse.

Ya, my priorities are towards school right now, as I actually get payed to learn. I don't see DJing and producing as my main bread maker, but depending on what I decide to do in the military in the next few years might make music my main job. I like it as a hobby and a pass time, but nothing that I will get so serious that it will become my full time job.

Lucky for me, I'm young and don't have a wife or kids.

I was more looking towards what B33SON posted, how he is able to juggle his DJing with working and stuff. Like, how much time do you put a week into practice?

Ya, my priorities are towards school right now, as I actually get payed to learn. I don't see DJing and producing as my main bread maker, but depending on what I decide to do in the military in the next few years might make music my main job. I like it as a hobby and a pass time, but nothing that I will get so serious that it will become my full time job.

Lucky for me, I'm young and don't have a wife or kids.

I was more looking towards what B33SON posted, how he is able to juggle his DJing with working and stuff. Like, how much time do you put a week into practice?
    If you have a serious relationship cut that time in half . But a wise man once told me if you really want to do something you'll find time to do it .

Here is my schedule wed - sunday

1130 - 2000 Work @ Bank (Mon - Fri)
    2130 - 0200 Mixing @ Clubs/promote/meet with club owners
    0230 - 0300 4th Meal
    0300 - 0400 Read DJ Techtools
    0400 - 0730/0800 Sleep

I still manage to have time for my wife and kids on the weekends and dropping the kids off at school. I need to take easy sometimes due to my P.T.S. (Post Traumatic Stress) - Iraq really got me all messed up.

But dj-ing always neutralize me.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Respect for you guys. Honest.

on avg Mon - Fri
    8:30 - 17:00 work
    17:00 - 18:00 diner
    18:00 - 18:30 feeding the little one
    18:30 - 19:00 family time, little one does a little nap
    19:00 - 20:00 spare time
    20:00 - 20:30 last meal of the little one
    20:30 - ?? spare time

Work is usually filled with checking DJ Techtools, Spare time with checking DJ Techtools, some gaming every now and than and the occasional other hobbies.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast