Just got Traktor kontrol S4... starting to DJ again . questions

Default Just got Traktor kontrol S4... starting to DJ again . questions

So I got the traktor kontrol s4 drove 2 hours to get it this morning. I paid like 870 total for a brand new one due to mistakes on G.C's part. Anyways i have been producing a lot lately and foresee a lot of DJing in my future. So i have a question or 2.

All my friends are telling me not to get traktor or serato itch because they sync tracks... can i beat match normally in both of these programs as well?
    The main goal for me getting this piece of equipment was for me to learn to beat match and start djing again (before i really only scratched , when i was real young.) and i don't wanna cut any corners. sure i will use sync at times but i'd like to be able to dj on any equipment i touch. But if it is true that i can't beat match manually with traktor kontrol s4 i might need to make a switch to another product. I am mainly mixing house, dubstep and some hip hop. If i do switch it would probably be to the Numark NS7. anyways sorry if this post is all over the place. did alot of driving this morning and am very tired.

P.S When i took my S4 out of the box one of the record plates was off. i slid it back on. is this normal or should i exchange it? it seemed to click right back in.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Ian

You can beatmatch on the S4. The pitch faders and jog wheels are high definition so you could beatmatch quite accurately. This will give you a good approximation of using a CDJ. At some point in the future NI will introduce the ability to add turntables and timecode if you fancy it too.

A few of the S4s were delivered with a loose jog. They should pop back on.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yes, you can beat match normally and the S4 seems to be about the best midi controller out there for that. You need to make sure you update to the latest 1.0.1 software and the new audio driver that was just released. You can get to all of that through the service center app that was installed with the S4 software. You did the right thing with the top plate, a few have come off in shipping, not a big deal. You'll also need to calibrate the jog wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO15WcFmjko

Have fun!!
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    You can beatmatch on the S4. The pitch faders and jog wheels are high definition so you could beatmatch quite accurately. This will give you a good approximation of using a CDJ. At some point in the future NI will introduce the ability to add turntables and timecode if you fancy it too.

A few of the S4s were delivered with a loose jog. They should pop back on.
    ^^^^^^
    I couldnt put it any better.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

how do i go about calibrating the jog wheels...thanks guys. does anyone know of any good dvds or tutorials that give you tips on mixing/beatmatching?

Don't listen to your friends when they say it has a sync feature. Who gives a f***? I'd rather make a better mix than waste my time beatmatching the tracks. (And yes, I know how to. The reason I got into DJing is because I used some old Technics a few years ago.)

Quote Originally Posted by enthawizeguy View Post
    how do i go about calibrating the jog wheels...thanks guys. does anyone know of any good dvds or tutorials that give you tips on mixing/beatmatching?
    There are a few videos, i'm too lazy to open up my bookmarks n stuff right now. Just google it, or look around on the forums, or Eans blogs. When I get un-lazy and get home from class i'll post the links.

As for the Jog Wheel, it happened to almost all the S4s. I got two S4s and both had the same "problem".

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enthawizeguy View Post
    how do i go about calibrating the jog wheels...
    It's in the video. Go to preferences, kontrol S4, follow the pop ups.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x