question about cables
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question about cables

Hi all,

was doing some cleaning up of my tool box when i found these cables... one end was rca and the other bare cable so i thought to myself great ill just get some 1/4 ts connectors, do some soldering and wooohooo got myself quality cables for my soon to arrive S4.... then i notice on the cable it says low capacitance instrument cable.... arent these meant for mic cables? are they balance or unbalance cables? please confirm for me if i can use this cable on my S4....

chubbz

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbz View Post
    Hi all,

was doing some cleaning up of my tool box when i found these cables... one end was rca and the other bare cable so i thought to myself great ill just get some 1/4 ts connectors, do some soldering and wooohooo got myself quality cables for my soon to arrive S4.... then i notice on the cable it says low capacitance instrument cable.... arent these meant for mic cables? are they balance or unbalance cables? please confirm for me if i can use this cable on my S4....

chubbz
    these two phrases should never ever be in the same scentence. (yes i know my spelling is horrible)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

TS's are unbalanced and TRS's are balanced. You will need unbalanced.

Check this tutorial:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-cables-2.html
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

well my apologies if i done something wrong.... english not my native language so i probably will make lotsa mistakes.... but most important u didnt answer my question....

chubbz

low capacitance instrument cables are typically used for electric guitars, synths, etc. They reduce the "hiss" of treble.

I do not own an S4, so I cannot answer that question.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by rhombus_77 View Post
    low capacitance instrument cables are typically used for electric guitars, synths, etc. They reduce the "hiss" of treble.

I do not own an S4, so I cannot answer that question.
    i was thinking the same.... guitars, synths... dont knw why these cables had rca connectors and what they are used for... anybody else can share more info?
    thank you for the replies so far...

chubbz

Yes you can put 1/4" ts connectors on those.

This kind:

Not this kind (trs):

I don't know if that's what you need for your S4, though.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

yeah that was my initial plan get some ts 1/4 connectors but are the cables the right ones to use?

chubbz

You don't need unbalanced cables, you just don't get anything from using balanced ones. And the cables and connectors are more expensive.

The low-capacitance thing is "good" regardless of how you use the cable. By that, I mean that they don't do anything bad and some people can hear a difference when they're used for instruments and the cable runs are long…mostly guitarists who claim they haven't killed their hearing yet and don't want to use buffers. I own some, and while I can hear a difference, it's not huge.

The reason that the capacitance matters is that the cable is resistive, meaning that it becomes a low-pass filter. For things like guitars–with a very low output and the right output impedance–it actually makes a bit of a difference. For DJ gear…it won't. But it won't hurt anything.

Just use them.
    Last edited by mostapha; 11-19-2010 at 07:03 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You can save a little money and use them, but like others have said they're not balanced. What you really want is balanced.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast