HELP: Accessibility Question from a Blind DJ, b3nz0n8 relay for Tango 179-N.I. Forum
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default HELP: Accessibility Question from a Blind DJ, b3nz0n8 relay for Tango 179-N.I. Forum

Source: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=123391

Hey guys,

I was on the N.I forums and found someone who could benefit from the knowledge and feedback you guys are so great at here on DJTT. I've responded to Tango 179 with the links to this post for reference. There has yet to be a response over there since it was posted yesterday, so I wanted to link it here for additional coverage and support. All of the knowledge and feedback here is greatly appreciated, you guys are the best.

Thanks in advance. ~b3nz0n8

NI Forum Post from Tango 179: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?t=123391

"Hello,

I am new to the didgital DJ world and have been looking into purchasing Traktor Pro. However I am blind and rely on screen reader software to navigate my computer, and this is what brings up a few questions.

I have installed the demo version and have been exploring it and going through the included manuals for the last few weeks and unfortunatly the only areas that my screen reader speaks is the file menue, once I open any of the options such as preferences it goes silent . What I have read in the manual leads me to belive that this will not be a problem as I could just get some one with sight to help me configure the software and prepare hotkeys. My ideal set up would be to use a keyboard and an external mixer. So my first question is, what functions can not be mapped to my keyboard? Note that use of a mouse is not possible. Secondly the manual stated that there are some features that can only be mapped to a midi controller, could someone please specify what these are. With a keyboard and external mixer set up will there be any functions that I will not be able to use through hotkeys or the mixer?

The next hurdle that I would need to overcome is the music collection. For simplicity I would create a folder on my hard drive to store all my music that I would be using in traktor, and from what I have read any files that I add later on can be automaticly added into the collection with out any input from me once it was enabled in preferences. The question here is how would the collection be sorted in this case? For ease of use on my end I would prefer to have my collection sorted alphabetically by artist name, I would assume that this was possible and when adding new tracks will they automatically follow this sorting method or just be added to the bottom of the list? Is it possible to hotkey a sort collection alphabetically command? If I remove a file from the folder will the track be removed from traktors collection or will it still be on the list?

Will a set up like this be workable? If anyone out there has any experience using traktor with a screen reader please let me know.

Thanks"

Thanks again DJTT, b3nz0n8
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 11-20-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Tech Guru

I would think someone in his situation would go for a "old skool" setup. Maybe some CDJ's, turntables, mixer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantdigi View Post
    I would think someone in his situation would go for a "old skool" setup. Maybe some CDJ's, turntables, mixer etc.
    I agree. Surely with higher tactile and auditory senses they would get more enjoyment and most likely perform a lot better from using something physical/analogue.

That's not the question though I suppose, I don't really know too much about it and i'd suggest that only people who know the stuff inside and out will be able to help..

Out of interest, how is he going to be able to hear the screen reader program? Sounds like too much effort to be using traktor when he could get a lot better result from something else.. imo

Tech Guru

If you get a sighted person to help you set up your hotkeys and initial preferences, you should be able to play your set without ever needing to touch the mouse. I'd suggest working with someone who's already skilled with Traktor mapping - you're going to want a map that is bomb-proof, meaning adding important things like panic resets, saved snapshots for all your effect settings, and tons of macro-type automation. You can do it all on the keyboard, but IMHO a solid controller would be better to work with, since once you've got it all set up, it'll be a much more tactile experience, plus you'll have the benefit of knobs for your effects.

I think nearly everything can be mapped on a keypad, the things that wouldn't work so well would be knob-type controls where you need smooth but variable rotation, likewise encoder controls. But you can finesse some of that type of control out of buttons, by selecting the repeat option in the command, also set as a "hold" type control, so the command stops when you release the key.

If you remove a file from your track folder, it won't automatically disappear from Traktor's collection. Instead, Traktor will give a message saying the file can't be read - if it is loaded. It's challenging to think about this from a blind perspective. I would think that a pre-sorted playlist would make things easy, since you know what to expect as you key up or down. But if you use the preview function, you might be able to navigate a reasonably sized alphabetized library without ever having to load anything.

I haven't thought about it this way before, it's definitely a challenge. I wish I could be more specific, but hopefully the suggestions are helpful. Good luck!
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

i think it was bach who was deaf and wrote music. Hmm well the memorization of music would best to use a 4 deck controller. memorizing the mapping of that 4 deck controller would allow mixing by knowing the music inside and out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Default Thank you guys, I will relay and try to engage on DJTT as well. You're the best

I'll relay the info and see if we can combine threads.

Any and all help is immensely appreciated.

With Tango 179 digging into Traktor Pro, I immediately thought of you and this incredible Community. I was thinking if there were anyone that could provide help, it would be you and your knowledge and experience. The insight and care that you take in your abilities, craft, life, love, passion. The same goes for Tango 179.

We all have different experiences in life and that is what makes it so dynamic and amazing. I want to help, and I want to ask for help. Tango 179 brings a whole new dynamic the Community. Understanding how our work is interpreted by others, on so many levels, is so important to our work as a whole.

This is just cool, on so so many levels, and opens so many doors for so many people. This is such a great Community, one that I cannot find anywhere else.

Thank you in advance for you input, insight, education and knowledge. All of this is very much appreciated. ~b3nz0n8
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 11-21-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by zacl87 View Post

That's not the question though I suppose, I don't really know too much about it and i'd suggest that only people who know the stuff inside and out will be able to help..
    I agree
    Perhaps go to assist could help.

GoToAsist:
    http://www.gotoassist.com/en_US/entry.tmpl

How it works:
    http://www.gotoassist.com/en_US/corpHIW.tmpl

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Replied on NI.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Default DJ Nice'n'Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Replied on NI.
    Thank you Photojojo, deviantdigi, zacl87, Zac Kyoti, chrisw and everyone for your knowledge, insight and experience.

Someone mentioned something about the 'Nicest DJ's" somewhere in the forum, this really is a special place with it's own groove.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I quote Karlos, "www.djtechtools.com, Where nice djs hang out."
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast