Newbie Timecode Set-Up Questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie Timecode Set-Up Questions.

Ok, after all of your help and searching the net on end, I believe what I am going to do is this.

2 Pioneer CDJ 400s
    1 Pioneer DJM400 2 Channel
    Traktor Scratch Pro
    Audio8 DJ and Timecode CDs

The questions...
    1. If I am mixing externally, using deck A and B for the CDJs, can I also use my Midifighter to control Traktor effects going to A and B? Can I also use my controller on decks C and D?
    2. When using Timecode, do the stock effects on the CDJ400 work, or do they render themselves useless after hooking up to Traktor?

Thank you again for your help before my big purchase!
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

1. Yes! Knock yourself out with the mappings on there. The CDJs are used for the essential transport controls, through timecode. Everything else is up to you, so feel free to add more controls to your controller of choice : looping, beat jumping, effects... In fact, you know what? You can even add further control over your timecode decks with controllers as well.
    You can also control the extra two decks but that might not be very useful with only a DJM400, which only has two channels.
    Keep in mind, since you'll be doing external mixing, everything that happens in traktor will be pre-fader as far as the mixer is concerned. So if you fade a track down, you'll fade the entire traktor output channel which obviously encompasses whatever effects you have running on it.
    2. No. You don't want to mangle the timecode signal with anything - just do NOT use any of the effects or master tempo on the cd decks. You can however, obviously, add as much of the DJM's effects on top of what comes out of traktor.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 11-22-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Thank you very much for the explanation!

So now the question is, use the CDJs with Timecode and lose their effects,
    or
    run the CDJs and mixer normally without Traktor at all as I originally planned.
    or
    run the CDJs in midi mode with the mixer and add on all my controllers I already have. To mix externally using my DJM400, will my Audio2 suffice? Or since the CDJ each have an audio card, will I not need my Audio2 at all?

The difference is $335...
    Last edited by Gryz; 11-22-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    KRK RP8sFG

Quote Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
    To mix externally using my DJM400, will my Audio2 suffice? Or since the CDJ each have an audio card, will I not need my Audio2 at all?

The difference is $335...
    You need a Audio 4 or Audio 8 to run the DVS
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    You need a Audio 4 or Audio 8 to run the DVS
    are you sure? cos there's the whole ghetto timecode thing... that said I suppose you can't buy a TSP or TSD licence without a soundcard!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Just get a DDM4000, you'll be sorted!
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

I understand I will need at least the Audio8 for Timecode...it comes with TScratch after all.

I am just wondering if going the timecode route (and extra $335) is better even though I lose the FX of the CDJs, or going the Midi route with them as controllers (losing high pitch fade res.) or even no software at all (losing Traktor).
    KRK RP8sFG

There's no need for timecode CDs with CDJ-400s as they're USB. And the DDM4000 uses MIDI, but I'm pretty sure you can get MIDI > USB adapters. Both have built in mappings for Traktor.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    There's no need for timecode CDs with CDJ-400s as they're USB. And the DDM4000 uses MIDI, but I'm pretty sure you can get MIDI > USB adapters. Both have built in mappings for Traktor.
    Yes but MIDI loses a lot of the resolution such as the pitch faders and well as scratching.

So it's either lose these abilities, or dish out another $335 for timecode functionality.

Which route?
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Wizard

My opinion would be to use the CDJ-400s as HID and mix externally by aggregating their soundcards, this way you get a higher resolution controller (more buttons for controlling traktor) that can act almost as well as using timecode cd's, and you won't have to spend money on another soundcard.

Unless of course you're a hardcore turntablists, where any type of MIDI, HID, OSC won't do the job.
    Macbook, Novation Ultranova, Novation Launchpad x2, Behringer BCD3000, Allen & Heath Xone 1D x2 (I'm trying to sell these right now), Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.7 (It's Legal)
    http://www.facebook.com/dynamicsmusic
    http://soundcloud.com/dynamicsmusic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast