mapping keys in ableton

Default mapping keys in ableton

need help i want start doing some live stuff like playing my own drums and i can't seem to figure out how to map my keys to the drum rack in ableton.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

You dont map them, you send a midi channel into it and different midi notes that are sent will trigger the different sounds in the device.

Approach it in the same way you would if you were sending midi into a synth and it will work.

ok cool thanks
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    ok cool thanks
    No problem if, (or anyone else) has any difficulties with it just say and ill post a screenshot

Is there any basic guide that you could recommend for understanding what exactly is happening wiht MIDI. I still don't understand what a CC note is doing different to a normal note, or what different MIDI channels are for!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    Is there any basic guide that you could recommend for understanding what exactly is happening wiht MIDI. I still don't understand what a CC note is doing different to a normal note, or what different MIDI channels are for!
    Sounds like we need a midi 101 article that breaks down midi into different understandable parts.

A little explination of how hex(without going into the boring details) would probably be of assistance for those people trying Bomes too.

Let me get this Live 7 smartcompression stuff out the way and i will work on something

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, let's get a basic MIDI article down before we get a Hex article.

This article helped me quite a bit when I was first starting to learn about MIDI, Djing and production in general. There are people here who can answer this with a lot more knowledge and depth than I can, but here's a basic shot.

MIDI is essentially just digital commands sending very basic information to the computer. When you press the middle C on your keyboard it isn't actually playing anything, it's just telling the computer/synthesizer to play whatever it knows is a middle C at the appropriate velocity, and then when to turn off. Just like when you move a fader or a knob, it's changing that parameter +1 or -1 from whatever starting point it was at. The computer/synthesizer is doing all the hard work, but the MIDI controllers is the taskmaster, telling it what to do and how to do it.

The CC numbers and the Note numbers are just used differently. You wouldn't send a CC24 command to tell the synthesizer to play a C#2. You'd just send the C#2 signal. I think the basic idea was supposed to be that your Note commands were supposed to be controlled mainly by the keyboard's notes, and CC commands were supposed to be for the knobs/faders/modulation. In today's world I don't think the difference matters as much, especially with something like Traktor where you can customize everything.

The Channels are pretty simple. Essentially it just allows there to be multiple routes that the MIDI signals can take. So, if I have a MIDI controller chained into four different synths I want those synths to be on different channels. If they are all on the same ones then the messages will overlap. If one is on Channel 1, one on 2, 3 and 4 then the messages will be unique and I can control the parameters of each synth independently.

hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by DvlsAdvct; 12-08-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

hex ftw!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Thanks for the crash introduction Dvls! It does explain a little bit.

I think a proper MIDI guide has been needed for quite a while! I know that MIDI mapping in Traktor etc. can be done without a theoretical MIDI knowledge, but personally I prefer having the knowledge before doing the practical!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Tech Convert

Please let me know when that midi 101 is available... cheers!