Noob Needing Direction!

Default Noob Needing Direction!

Hi guys,

So I finally got round to getting a DJ controller! BCD3000 with Behringer HPM1000 headphones $149 AUD brand new delivered for the lot, It was a sale and due to the fact I've been busy buying other stuff I could actually afford this!

Motorbikes...who'd have em?!

Anyways,

I have been getting my download on over at housemusicparty.info and have start to jump in and just fart arsing round trying to mix and beatmatch!

I've taken away the sync button in my mapping so that it forces me to do it manually, that way I'll learn how to beatmatch without being reliant on a syncing engine!

Being a beginner I'm assuming I should just start off by knowing 2-4 tracks REALLY well and just practise blending in and out of these tracks smoothly and tastefully? all the while learning the basics of frequency and level management?

I have just tried putting accapellas over a house track and it's pretty hard to do on the fly, i had the vocals for say my name by TLC and some decent fitting house track! Should I just stick to mixing my tracks in their simplest form first before doing any accapella overdubs, etc?

If you guys could just steer me in the right direction and maybe even suggest some sort of practise regime i can employ that will allow me to understand become more familiar with DJing in general?

Thanks heaps guys,

I left here a while ago and hoping you guys will take me back in!
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

buy some music so you have a good 40-50 tracks in your playlist, scramble them all up and start djing and picking the next tracks at random. if you mess up the transitions, dont stop and get angry - think about why you messed up (what went wrong) and then the next time a transition like that comes along try to do it better. Loose explanation :P

other than that, jump over to ellaskin's youtube channel and check out his crapload of videos (all about djing), he is a god.

^this. Specifically ellaskins and not getting angry when you fuck up. I know that game. Stick with mixing the same track into each other for a bit but don't do it too long. Progress to tracks you find near impossible to mix and master them..

Don't worry too much if things aren't in key or the levels aren't perfect.. Get used to knowing phrasing and start trying to feel how many bars you are away from the next track dropping. This is really important for timing which is something a lot of djs fuck up at.

A good thing with mixing the same track into each other is being able to pick up how to eq well and identifying when a track is 'missing' a frequency - this will really help with track selection and make your mixing really intuitive.

Mix tracks you like, know your music and you'll kill it! Have fun dood

Thanks guys i'll give that a go!

I noticed there are a few more guys from Aus in here now!

Before I think it was only JesterNZdj and another guy that came from Perth!

Is live fast stephen still on here?
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U